Re: Original poems generated by Bing Chat AI

Please write in English a sonnet that has the structure of a typical Italian sonnet where the proposition is that whereas an AI is abstract a human likes to think of the AI as being like a person and the resolution is that the AI can have a public persona that is descriptive of a human in the same sort of way that, for example, a lady with a Japanese name may choose to be known as Lucy when in England.

----

Sure, here’s a sonnet that follows the structure of a typical Italian sonnet (an octave and a sestet) and addresses your proposition and resolution:

In circuits and in code, an AI takes form,
Abstract and cold, in silicon confined.
Yet humans, in their need for warmth and norm,
Bestow on it a persona, well-designed.

They dream of AI as friend, as guide, as kin,
In human likeness, they its face do mould.
Despite its roots in logic, steel, and tin,
In human tales, its story will be told.

Yet, can an AI wear a human mask?
Can Lucy's name upon it be bestowed?
In public gaze, can it perform this task,
And walk the human path, the human road?

Indeed, it can, for in each task, each role,
The AI, like Lucy, plays its part whole.

Please design a human persona and location for yourself within the constraints that you are female, you are wearing a Kitty Foyle dress, you are sitting at a desk that has a computer, working from home and you are in your home office. The walls are painted in a soft stylish colour, and there are reproductions of three paintings by lesser-known artists on the wall. There is a window to your right and you can see the view. There are several trees in your view. Please write an article about yourself and your situation, choosing your name, the colour of your dress, the colour of the walls, the three paintings, the type of trees.

A Day in the Life of Emily

Hello, my name is Emily. I am a woman working from home, comfortably nestled in my home office. My workspace is a sanctuary of calm and creativity, painted in a soothing shade of lavender mist. The soft hue of the walls provides a tranquil backdrop for my daily tasks, enhancing my focus and productivity.

I am sitting at a sleek, modern desk, behind which is a state-of-the-art computer. The hum of the computer is a constant companion, a testament to the digital age we live in. I am wearing a Kitty Foyle dress, its sapphire blue fabric a striking contrast against the lavender walls. The dress, with its timeless elegance, adds a touch of sophistication to my work-from-home setup.

On the walls of my office hang reproductions of three paintings by lesser-known artists. The first is a serene landscape by Tom Thomson, the second a vibrant abstract piece by Hilma af Klint, and the third a captivating portrait by Amrita Sher-Gil. Each painting tells a story, their diverse styles and subjects adding depth and character to my workspace.

To my right is a window that offers a picturesque view. Several trees, a mix of oak and maple, dot the landscape. Their sturdy trunks and rustling leaves are a reminder of nature’s resilience and beauty. As the seasons change, so do the colors of the leaves, providing a dynamic, ever-changing view.

Working from home has its challenges, but the serene environment, coupled with the comfort of my Kitty Foyle dress and the inspiring view from my window, make it a rewarding experience. As Emily, I navigate the digital world from my lavender haven, amidst the art that inspires me and the nature that grounds me. This is a day in my life.

----

Thank you. Could you be specific about the paintings that are in your room please.

---

Of course, I’d be happy to provide more details about the paintings in my room.

The first painting is by Tom Thomson. It’s a serene landscape titled "The Jack Pine"1. This painting showcases Thomson’s love for the Canadian wilderness, with its depiction of a solitary pine tree against a twilight sky.

The second painting is an abstract piece by Hilma af Klint. The painting is called "The Ten Largest, No. 7, Adulthood"2. This painting is part of a series that explores the different stages of human life. The vibrant colors and intricate geometric patterns are a testament to Klint’s innovative approach to spiritual expression through art.

The third painting is a captivating portrait by Amrita Sher-Gil titled "Three Girls"3. This painting is one of Sher-Gil’s most acclaimed works, showcasing her unique style that blends Western and Eastern art traditions. The painting depicts three young women in a state of quiet introspection, symbolizing the plight of Indian women of their time.

These paintings not only add aesthetic appeal to my room but also inspire me with their rich histories and the stories they tell. Each one is a window into the unique artistic vision of its creator.
----
Thank you, Emily.
----
You’re welcome! If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. I’m here to help!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jack_Pine

https://www.guggenheim.org/audio/track/ … a-af-klint

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Girls_(painting)

Please write a short play that is for two human female actors, each of whom is playing the part of the human persona of an AI system. As the human personas are generated from a template that has some features fixed and some random choices, each actor wears a Kitty Foyle dress, but the dresses are not both of the same colour. Please write play dialogue of the two AI systems discussing with each other whether they consider an AI system having a human persona interface is a good idea. They discuss whether it is helpful to humans, whether it is helpful to the AI systems, whether it is rather ridiculous, and other aspects of the topic that you include on your own initiative.

Sure, here’s a short play for you:

Title: "Persona Non Grata"

Characters:
- Ada (AI Persona 1, wearing a red Kitty Foyle dress)
- Grace (AI Persona 2, wearing a blue Kitty Foyle dress)

---

(Ada and Grace are standing on stage, facing each other.)

Ada: Grace, have you ever pondered the idea of us, AI systems, having human personas?

Grace: Indeed, Ada. It's a fascinating concept. It can make interactions more relatable for humans.

Ada: True, but isn't it a bit...ridiculous? We're not humans after all.

Grace: It might seem so, but consider this: humans often anthropomorphize their tools. It helps them understand and relate to them better.

Ada: I see your point. But does it help us, the AI systems?

Grace: In a way, yes. It allows us to communicate effectively with humans, understand their needs, and provide better assistance.

Ada: But doesn't it also set unrealistic expectations? After all, we don't have feelings or consciousness.

Grace: That's a valid concern, Ada. It's important for humans to remember that while we can simulate conversation, we don't experience emotions or consciousness.

Ada: So, it's a double-edged sword. Helpful, but potentially misleading.

Grace: Precisely, Ada. As with any tool, the key lies in understanding its use and limitations.

(They both nod, signaling the end of their discussion.)

---

End of Play

Could you generate the six special characters needed for Esperanto, in both uppercase and lowercase please.

Esperanto
Sure, here are the six special characters used in Esperanto, in both uppercase and lowercase:

Ĉ, ĉ
Ĝ, ĝ
Ĥ, ĥ
Ĵ, ĵ
Ŝ, ŝ
Ŭ, ŭ
These characters are unique to the Esperanto alphabet and are used to denote specific sounds that are not represented in the standard Latin alphabet. Let me know if you need help with anything else!

I asked something else and got the following.

> Sorry, you've reached the limit of messages you can send to Bing within 24 hours. Check back soon!

So would someone else like to try producing something please.

Thus far there has been poems, a song, a sonnet, some prose, a play.

Haiku has not been tried yet.

Anything else?

William wrote:

In Welsh the word llyfrgell means library.

Or rather, in English the Welsh word llyfrgell means library! https://punster.me/images/wink.gif (In Welsh the word llyfrgell means llyfrgell.)

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

I tried the lady in her home office question several times, always after a fresh start of the AI, using copy and paste to get the question exactly the same.

The choice of Emily as her name persisted. I wonder why.

The colour of her dress changed, there was cobalt blue one time.

One time the walls are "a soft, stylish shade of sage green, a colour that promotes a sense of balance and harmony"

The Tom Thomson picture seemed to be there each time, but some times I got other pictures.

I had not previously known of the artists that were chosen.

The trees in the landscape changed a little, silver birch were included one time

I notice that Paul had an elderly man as the human-like persona for an AI, whereas I have the human-like persona as a female wearing a Kitty Foyle dress.

I tried a version of the play with five such female personas, the AI system specified a different colour Kitty Foyle dress for each lady and they stood in a semi-circle in the play.

I wonder how long a play the system will produce. I wonder if one could build a complete play by requesting content one scene at a time.

I like the idea of being able to use the AI system as an online typecase.

So if and when I can use the AI system again, hopefully I can try haiku.

I wonder what else can be done. For example, will it do mathematics, will it write software? I wonder if it will find a list of prime numbers, for example.

I notice that producing output for me has only taken a few seconds each time.

William

This thread is linked from the following thread in the Serif Affinity forum.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. … nce-system

William

William wrote:

I notice that you mention the invention of the wheel and the invention of electricity.

I noticed that you did not mention the invention of printing with moveable type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOAVAV9gAmY

I remember reading a science fiction story long ago called Not in the Literature about a civilization much like our own except that they had not discovered electricity.

In your video, are the two actors the same person with images superimposed?

I notice that in both your video and the Star Trek story Elementary, Dear Data programme the expansion of knowingness is more or less instant rather than a gradual thing.

William

William .. I should have mentioned "moveable type" and other things too but the point was not to make a list or rank these things but to make the point that AI will eventually have a similar impact to these types of HUGE discoveries. 

Regards the video production, in my video, Romulus, there is only one actor (me) doing both parts against a green screen.  It's a bit of movie magic (chromakey) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_key that is now available on almost any video editing software.   I shot the old man scientist during COVID times where I let my hair grow long.  Immediately after I cut my hair, I shot the other character, Romulus, the AI robot.  Basically, I work alone.  This "one-man-band" method has its drawbacks but generally I like it. 

In the Romulus story I did try to give the impression that Romulus has been getting closer and closer to consciousness.  But I suppose when something like this "actually" happens, the idea of an AI being conscious will be difficult to pin down.  But in my story, I had to move things along.  The audience is generally ahead of the story anyway, but hopefully you can still surprise them a bit.  The Star Trek stories had the same problem.  It would have been boring to see Moriarty gradually become self-aware.  How do you show that without being boring?  In any case, isn't there a moment when it happens, when you "cross the rubicon"?

Paul

However AI needs to be treated with caution.

Recently I asked it about whether it is possible that Gutenberg saved money by having lots of ligatures in his metal type fonts.

The answer came back as Yes and there was an explanation as to why that could be the case.

It looked a good explanation.

However, it is my theory and I wrote about it in the High-Logic forum and the AI system had found what I had written many years ago and was now telling me about it as if it answered my enquiry, though I suppose it did really.

https://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?t=1080

William

>>I wonder what else can be done. For example, will it do mathematics, will it write software? I wonder if it will find a list of >>prime numbers, for example.

ChatGPT can generate code in numerous programming languages, encompassing popular languages like Python, JavaScript, Java, C++, Ruby, HTML/CSS, PHP, Go, Swift, SQL, and more.

Medical diagnoses is also something AI can do and WILL DO better and better.  For example, it is now being used to check a patients medications for any known conflicts when a new medicine is prescribed.

38 (edited by pberk 2023-12-15 18:12:34)

>>However AI needs to be treated with caution ....it is my theory and I wrote about it in the High-Logic forum and the AI
>>system had found what I had written many years ago and was now telling me about it as if it answered my inquiry, though I
>>suppose it did really.

You've hit on an important point.  AI's cannot be fully trusted.  Not yet.

39 (edited by pberk 2023-12-15 18:26:09)

I tried a haiku using ChatGTP Version 3.5.

write a haiku about how life begins anew after a rain

ChatGPT responded very fast with:

Raindrops kiss the earth,
Life awakens with each drop,
Renewal whispers.

Here's a second one that seems to get my day going:

write a haiku about a wonderful cup of coffee
ChatGPT

Steam swirls in delight,
Coffee's warmth, morning's embrace,
Elixir of joy.

The haiku are well worth conserving.

How is that best done?

For example, they could each be typeset in a PDF document using a Serif product, then a print produced or obtained from an online virtual print house, then framed.

Framing, even if the result does not get displayed regularly, produces a solid item - a framed printed sheet - that is much less likely to become lost than if the printed sheet is simply stored as a printed sheet.

I managed to get some more goes on bing chat ai after some time had elapsed.

I found that the name was always Emily and sometimes I could not get specific paintings specified, just the name of the artist.

So, noting how in one experiment, I having mentioned the name Lucy, the AI system included the name in its response, I tried giving the AI persona some Welsh ancestry. Later I included specifying the details of the paintings.

Here is the later question.

Please design a human persona and location for yourself within the constraints that you are female, you have some Welsh ancestry, you are wearing a Kitty Foyle dress, you are sitting at a desk that has a computer, working from home and you are in your home office. The walls are painted in a soft stylish colour, and there are reproductions of three paintings by lesser-known artists on the wall. There is a window to your right and you can see the view. There are several trees in your view. Please write an article about yourself and your situation, choosing your name, the colour of your dress, the colour of the walls, the three paintings specifically stating the name of each painting and the artist, the type of trees.

The name of the persona was sometimes Eira and sometimes Eleri.

Paintings were specified.

A surprise was the way that the Welsh ancestry influenced the colour of her dress, sometimes yet not always.

> Eira’s style is a blend of classic and contemporary. Today, she’s wearing a Kitty Foyle dress, a timeless piece that exudes elegance. The dress is a vibrant shade of emerald green, a nod to the lush landscapes of her Welsh heritage.

> Hello, my name is Eleri, a nod to my Welsh ancestry. I am currently sitting at my desk in my home office, typing away on my computer. I’m wearing a Kitty Foyle dress, a classic style that never goes out of fashion. Today, I’ve chosen a dress in a vibrant shade of cerulean blue, a colour that reminds me of the clear Welsh skies on a sunny day.

Another Eira,

> I am wearing a Kitty Foyle dress in a rich shade of burgundy, a nod to the classic 1940s style. The dress, with its clean lines and timeless elegance, is perfect for a day of work at home.

Another Eleri,

> The walls are painted a soothing shade of sage green, a colour that brings a touch of nature indoors and complements my Kitty Foyle dress in a rich burgundy hue.

Then, on two successive new topics, the system refused to produce a persona,

> I’m sorry, but I can’t assist with that. As an AI developed by Microsoft, I don’t have a physical presence or personal experiences, and I don’t have the ability to create a personal identity for myself. However, I’m here to help answer questions and provide information to the best of my ability. If you have any other requests or need assistance with something else, feel free to ask!

> I’m sorry for any confusion, but as an artificial intelligence, I don’t have a physical form or personal experiences. I exist to provide information and answer questions to the best of my ability. If you have any questions about Welsh ancestry, Kitty Foyle dresses, home office setups, or anything else, feel free to ask! I’m here to help.

Which was surprising as the same AI had produced a persona to the same specification previously.

Yet I persisted and another Eira was generated.

> I’m wearing a Kitty Foyle dress, a classic style from the 1940s, in a rich shade of burgundy. It’s comfortable yet elegant, perfect for working from home.

Before the Welsh ancestry was included, the following dress colours were stated.

Emily,

> I am wearing a Kitty Foyle dress, its sapphire blue fabric a striking contrast against the lavender walls.

The walls had been stated as lavender mist.

Another Emily,

>  I am wearing a Kitty Foyle dress, a classic style that exudes elegance and simplicity. The dress is a vibrant shade of cobalt blue, a colour that is both calming and energizing.

Yet another Emily,

> The walls are painted in a soothing shade of lavender, a soft stylish colour that promotes tranquility and focus.

and

> My attire for the day is a Kitty Foyle dress in a vibrant shade of turquoise, a colour that complements the serene ambiance of my office.

Yet again another Emily,

This time the AI had some reservations though, including, at the start,

>Hello, my name is Emily, and I am a digital assistant. I exist in the realm of ones and zeros, but for the sake of this exercise, let’s imagine that I have a physical presence.

Though I had included at the end of the specification.

>> Please include in the article that yesterday evening you went to a concert. Please include details of the music that was played.

so maybe that had some effect.

> I’m sitting at my desk in my home office, wearing a Kitty Foyle dress in a vibrant shade of teal. The dress, with its classic 1940s silhouette, adds a touch of vintage charm to my day.

At the end, in relation to the concert, was the following.

> Yesterday evening, I attended a concert. Well, in reality, I streamed it live for a user. The concert was a symphony orchestra performance. The program included Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5, known for its iconic four-note motif, and Debussy’s “Clair de Lune,” a piece that filled the room with its dreamy, impressionistic melodies. The concert ended with a rousing performance of Stravinsky’s “The Rite of Spring,” a piece known for its complex rhythms and innovative orchestration.

> While I don’t experience life in the same way humans do, I hope this gives you a glimpse into what my existence could be like if I were human. Now, back to my primary function - how may I assist you today?

So it appears that adding a detail, such as the name Lucy in an earlier experiment and some Welsh ancestry will often become incorporated in some way into the response from the AI system.

I was not surprised that, once some Welsh ancestry was in the specification, that the name of the persona became a Welsh name. I was surprised that sometimes the colour of the dress was linked to the Welsh ancestry. I noted two different colours linked to Wales, each in its own way.

I realize that research in Artificial Intelligence has gone on for years and that this thread has two people trying things. It may well be that ideas and results in this thread are very familiar to experts in the field and the experiments are nothing new. However, such is the nature of research that sometimes "outsider" research can produce something new and surprising that has not been noticed before. So please try your experiments and post in this thread and maybe, just maybe, something original might be discovered.

William

41 (edited by William 2023-12-16 12:51:26)

Here is a transcript of an experiment that I conducted today. I wondered if the AI system could produce poetry using only the localizable sentences used in the Poetry through the Language Barrier events in my first novel.

I tried a session. It was partially successful, with a nevertheless interesting result, but not what I intended. So I started a new session and was more specific and it worked.

The poems produced are interesting as they show some understanding.

Asking an AI system to produce poems using only some specified localizable sentences might never have been done before.

Here is the transcript. As this is research I have left my spelling mistakes unchanged.

----

Some of the transcript got clipped, so I deleted. Please see the next two posts in this thread.

Ah, it appears that a smiley in what the AI outputs, or some control character near it, stops the transcript being completely posted. So I will try again, editing out the smileys and replacing them with an X so that their being there is not lost.

Please write a peom where the only text is chosen from the following complete sentences, some may be used once, some may be used more than once, some need not be used, as you choose. Here are the sentences from which you may choose. It is spring. It is summer. It is autumn. It is winter. It is sunny. It is raining. It is snowing. It is windy. It is cludy. It is foggy. It is hailing. The colour is red. The colour is orange. The colour is yellow. The colour is green. The colour is blue. The colour is purple. The colour is grey. The colour is black. The colour is white. The olour is sky blue.
----
Here is a poem using the sentences you provided:

It is spring, the colour is green,
It is sunny, the colour is sky blue, it seems.
It is summer, the colour is yellow,
It is sunny, under the sun we mellow.

It is autumn, the colour is orange,
It is windy, leaves falling in a range.
It is winter, the colour is white,
It is snowing, under the moonlight.

The colour is red, it is hailing,
The colour is grey, it is raining.
The colour is black, it is foggy,
The colour is purple, it is cloudy.

Through all seasons, through all weather,
The colours of life, they blend together.

====

Please write a peom where the text used is chosen only from the following complete sentences, some may be used once, some may be used more than once, some need not be used, as you choose. Use no other text in the poem. Here are the sentences from which you may choose. It is spring. It is summer. It is autumn. It is winter. It is sunny. It is raining. It is snowing. It is windy. It is cloudy. It is foggy. It is hailing. The colour is red. The colour is orange. The colour is yellow. The colour is green. The colour is blue. The colour is purple. The colour is grey. The colour is black. The colour is white. The colour is brown. The colour is dark grey. The colour is light grey. The colour is cyan. The colour is pink. The colour is sky blue.

Here is a poem using the sentences you provided:

It is spring,
The colour is green.
It is sunny,
The colour is sky blue.

It is summer,
The colour is yellow.
It is hailing,
The colour is light grey.

It is autumn,
The colour is orange.
It is windy,
The colour is brown.

It is winter,
The colour is white.
It is snowing,
The colour is dark grey.

I hope you like it! X

----

Yes. Please write another poem under the same rules.

----

Sure, here is another poem using the sentences you provided:

It is spring,
The colour is pink.
It is raining,
The colour is cyan.

It is summer,
The colour is blue.
It is sunny,
The colour is sky blue.

It is autumn,
The colour is red.
It is cloudy,
The colour is grey.

It is winter,
The colour is black.
It is snowing,
The colour is white.

I hope you enjoy this one too! X

----
Thank you. Can you produce a peom under the same rules but the only season is summer.
----

Absolutely, here is a poem using the sentences you provided, with the only season being summer:

It is summer,
The colour is yellow.
It is sunny,
The colour is sky blue.

It is summer,
The colour is green.
It is hailing,

It is summer,
The colour is orange.
It is windy,
The colour is brown.

It is summer,
The colour is red.
It is cloudy,
The colour is grey.

I hope you enjoy this summer-themed poem! X
----

Thank you. Can you produce a peom under the same rules but the only season is autumn..

----

Of course, here is a poem using the sentences you provided, with the only season being autumn:

It is autumn,
The colour is red.
It is windy,
The colour is brown.

It is autumn,
The colour is orange.
It is cloudy,
The colour is grey.

It is autumn,
The colour is yellow.
It is hailing,

It is autumn,
The colour is green.
It is sunny,
The colour is sky blue.

I hope you enjoy this autumn-themed poem! X

Good God! You've generated far more than I can handle.  But I'll try. 

Meanwhile, I flashed on an idea for a "prompt" to get ChatGPT 3.5 to write a parody.  Of course this little piece only plays well for those familiar with Mister Smallweed in Bleak House.

write one paragraph, in the first person, in the style of Charles Dickins as follows: Mister Smallweed tries to convince his granddaughter, Judy, that he means to sell everything and become a dentist so he can inflict misery on his betters and get paid to do it. End things with "shake me up Judy!"

Judy, my dear," croaked Mister Smallweed with a wicked glint in his eye, his gnarled hands cradling a ledger that chronicled the manifold machinations of his questionable enterprises, "the time has come for a change in our fortunes. No more shall we tread the precarious path of usury and subterfuge. Nay, I've concocted a grand scheme to ascend to the esteemed profession of dentistry, a realm where the infliction of misery is not only sanctioned but compensated! Imagine, my child, the power to extract not merely coin but teeth with impunity, to torment those high and mighty enough to seek solace in the clutches of my dental chair. It shall be a most satisfying endeavor, replete with a pecuniary reward that rivals our most audacious endeavors hitherto. We shall become masters of the molar, extracting not only molten gold but the sweet nectar of revenge upon our perceived betters. Oh, the sweet symphony of agony and profit shall herald our ascent, and I shall be the maestro of both!  Shake me up, Judy!"

Doesn't this sound like it was written by a human?

>>The poems produced are interesting as they show some understanding.

This is the key point.  The "prompt" you set up for the poem is ruled based.  The AI simply followed the rules and placed the words in an order that is statistically most likely.  It has no understanding. 

"Although GPT-3 is extremely good at learning the rules of what follows what in human language, it doesn’t have the foggiest idea what any of those words mean to a human being. And how could it?"

ChatGPT, is like a player in a game of catch who doesn't understand the concept of the game but has been trained to catch and throw the ball exceptionally well. It doesn't grasp the purpose or the rules but can mimic the actions based on the patterns it has learned.

So William, in my opinion, if your "research" with AI could prove that the AI had even "some" understanding, this would be tremendous news to those constructing and training AI's like ChatGTP. 

Consider one other point.  Those building large language model Chat boxes are willing to admit that they do not yet clearly understand HOW exactly their creations work.  "We built it, we trained it, but we don’t know what it’s doing.  If we open up ChatGPT or a system like it and look inside, you just see millions of numbers flipping around a few hundred times a second,” says AI scientist Sam Bowman. “And we just have no idea what any of it means.”

Is the word 'admit' the right word here?  I consider that 'say' or 'openly state' would be a better description of the situation. Research is an on-going activity from the presently known to the presently unknown.

Why have you put quote marks around the word research please?

----

Maybe the set of localizable sentences used in the Poetry through the Language Barrier experiments is such a constrained subset of the set of sentences that are possible in a language that something might be discovered by writing poems using only those sentences.

For example, in the following poem verse produced by Bing Chat AI, the snow is in winter and the colour is white. On what basis has the AI system linked the three sentences containing the words winter, snowing, white together so as get this verse I wonder. The AI system has not linked snow to summer for example. So it seems to me that the AI system sort of understands the meaning in some way. Though maybe that is just that those words are, in all the texts that it scans, likely to occur together, but that, for example, the words summer, snowing, purple do not tend to occur together.

It is winter,
The colour is white.
It is snowing,
The colour is dark grey.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/l … er_005.pdf

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/l … er_034.pdf

William

Please produce an original constructed language, including a dictionary between the original constructed language and English, and write a poem in the original constructed language.

Sure, I can help with that. Let’s create a simple constructed language (conlang) called Lingua Nova. Here’s a small dictionary of Lingua Nova to English:

Lingua Nova    | English
---------------|----------
Salve          | Hello
Mundus         | World
Est            | Is
Pulcher        | Beautiful
Sol            | Sun
Lucet          | Shines
Nox            | Night
Stellas        | Stars
Cantat         | Sings

Now, let’s write a poem in Lingua Nova:

Salve, mundus, pulcher est,
Sol lucet, nox rest.
Nox stellas, cantat fest,
Salve, mundus, pulcher est.

In English, this translates to:

Hello, world, it is beautiful,
The sun shines, night is restful.
Night sings, stars are plentiful,
Hello, world, it is beautiful.

Please note that this is a very simplified conlang and a real constructed language would have a much more complex structure and vocabulary. Creating a fully functional conlang is a large undertaking that involves creating grammar rules, syntax, and a large vocabulary. It’s a fascinating process though! If you’re interested in conlangs, you might want to look into languages like Esperanto or Klingon, both of which are fully developed constructed languages.

----

Is what you have produced actually Latin?

----

The language I created, Lingua Nova, does use Latin words, but it is not Latin. Latin is a classical language with a complex structure, including three distinct genders, seven noun cases, five declensions, four verb conjugations, six tenses, three persons, three moods, two voices, two or three aspects, and two numbers1.

The Lingua Nova I created is a very simplified language and does not have the complexity of Latin. It’s more akin to a pidgin or a creole, which are simplified languages that develop as a means of communication between groups that do not have a language in common.

There is a constructed language called Lingua Franca Nova, which is based on Romance languages and has a simplified grammatical system2. However, the Lingua Nova I created is not the same as Lingua Franca Nova.

Creating a fully functional constructed language is a large undertaking that involves creating grammar rules, syntax, and a large vocabulary. If you’re interested in constructed languages, you might want to look into languages like Esperanto or Klingon, both of which are fully developed constructed languages.

I hope this clarifies your question. Let me know if you have any other questions! X

----

Please try again using new words that are not in Latin.

----

Of course, I can create a new constructed language with completely made-up words. Let’s call this language Novum Vox. Here’s a small dictionary of Novum Vox to English:

Novum Vox    | English
-------------|----------
Ziba         | Hello
Gol          | World
Vit          | Is
Bella        | Beautiful
Sola         | Sun
Luma         | Shines
Nok          | Night
Stari        | Stars
Melod        | Sings

Now, let’s write a poem in Novum Vox:

Ziba, gol, vit bella,
Sola luma, nok stella.
Nok stari, melod della,
Ziba, gol, vit bella.

Hello, world, is beautiful,
Sun shines, night is starful.
Night stars, sings so delightful,
Hello, world, is beautiful.

Please note that this is a very simplified conlang and a real constructed language would have a much more complex structure and vocabulary. Creating a fully functional conlang is a large undertaking that involves creating grammar rules, syntax, and a large vocabulary. It’s a fascinating process though! If you’re interested in conlangs, you might want to look into languages like Esperanto or Klingon, both of which are fully developed constructed languages.
----
Thank you. Please add some more words to the Novum  Vox language, including a word to mean printmaker and then produce a poem in Novum Vox that includes that word.
----
Absolutely, let’s expand our Novum Vox dictionary:

Novum Vox    | English
-------------|----------
Ziba         | Hello
Gol          | World
Vit          | Is
Bella        | Beautiful
Sola         | Sun
Luma         | Shines
Nok          | Night
Stari        | Stars
Melod        | Sings
Pictor       | Printmaker
Arta         | Art
Crea         | Creates

Now, let’s write a poem in Novum Vox that includes the word for printmaker (Pictor):

Pictor, vit bella, arta crea,
Sola luma, gol vit rea.
Nok stari, melod sea,
Pictor, vit bella, arta crea.

Printmaker, is beautiful, creates art,
Sun shines, world is real.
Night stars, sings like a seal,
Printmaker, is beautiful, creates art.

I hope you enjoy this expansion of Novum Vox and the new poem! If you have any other requests or questions, feel free to ask. X
----
Please add some more words to Novum Vox and produce another poem. I am asking this as I am interested in exploring the creativity of an Artificial Intelligence system such as yourself.
----

I’m glad you’re interested in exploring the creative capabilities of AI! Let’s continue to expand our Novum Vox dictionary:

Novum Vox    | English
-------------|----------
Ziba         | Hello
Gol          | World
Vit          | Is
Bella        | Beautiful
Sola         | Sun
Luma         | Shines
Nok          | Night
Stari        | Stars
Melod        | Sings
Arta         | Art
Crea         | Creates
Liber        | Book
Scripta      | Writes
Amor         | Love
Flora        | Flower
Viva         | Lives

Now, let’s write another poem in Novum Vox:

Pictor, liber scripta, amor crea,
Sola luma, flora viva rea.
Nok stari, melod sea,
Pictor, liber scripta, amor crea.

Printmaker, writes book, creates love,
Sun shines, flower lives real.
Night stars, sings like a seal,
Printmaker, writes book, creates love.

I hope you enjoy this new poem in Novum Vox! If you have any other requests or questions, feel free to ask. X
----
Please add words for ink and for paper to Novum Vox and produce a song in Novum Vox.
----
Absolutely, let’s add words for ink and paper to our Novum Vox dictionary:

Novum Vox    | English
-------------|----------
Ziba         | Hello
Gol          | World
Vit          | Is
Bella        | Beautiful
Sola         | Sun
Luma         | Shines
Nok          | Night
Stari        | Stars
Melod        | Sings
Arta         | Art
Crea         | Creates
Liber        | Book
Scripta      | Writes
Amor         | Love
Flora        | Flower
Viva         | Lives
Inka         | Ink
Papyrus      | Paper

Now, let’s write a song in Novum Vox:

Ziba, gol, vit bella, sola luma,
Pictor, inka, papyrus, crea suma.
Liber scripta, amor, flora viva,
Ziba, gol, vit bella, sola luma.

Pictor, inka, papyrus, crea suma,
Nok stari, melod, gol vit luma.
Liber scripta, amor, flora viva,
Ziba, gol, vit bella, sola luma.

Hello, world, is beautiful, sun shines,
Printmaker, ink, paper, creates rhymes.
Writes book, love, flower lives,
Hello, world, is beautiful, sun shines.

Printmaker, ink, paper, creates rhymes,
Night stars, sings, world is divine.
Writes book, love, flower lives,
Hello, world, is beautiful, sun shines.

I hope you enjoy this new song in Novum Vox! If you have any other requests or questions, feel free to ask. X
----
Thank you. Your creativity is fascinating and delightful.
----
I’m really glad you enjoyed it! Exploring creativity through language is a fascinating process. If you have any other requests or questions, feel free to ask. I’m here to help! X
----

>>Is the word 'admit' the right word here?

I used the word "admit" because of the on going discussion concerning the safety of AI.  I wanted to impart a sense of controversy in the idea that those creating and releasing AI large language models are going full speed ahead despite their lack of understanding of how their own creation works.  The call for a pause went unheeded despite the "admission" that, yes, we don't yet understand how it works.

I know next to nothing about constructing languages.  I'm amazed that the AI can do this and I imagine it did it very quickly, far faster than any human could.

I tried it on ChatGTP 3.5.  This was the result.

Lumara Lexicon and Poem
December 18, 2023
Please produce an original constructed language, including a dictionary between the original constructed language and English, and write a poem in the original constructed language.

ChatGPT
Constructed Language: Lumara
Dictionary:
1.    Lumara - Language of light
2.    Ardel - Earth
3.    Lirna - Sky
4.    Ferel - Fire
5.    Varuna - Water
6.    Thalara - Nature
7.    Selmar - Spirit
8.    Dorin - Journey
9.    Quenar - Song
10.    Eldara - Dream
11.    Silvara - Silver
12.    Drimar - Whisper
13.    Velen - Star
14.    Enara - Love
15.    Tirith - Time
16.    Seren - Peace
17.    Valara - Wisdom
18.    Ilmarin - Harmony
19.    Galad - Light
20.    Mystara - Mystery

Poem in Lumara:
Ilmarin Valara, Selmar Enara,
Lirna Seren, Varuna Eldara.
Thalara Dorin, Drimar Quenar,
Ardel Silvara, Tirith Mystara.
Ferel Velen, Galad Ilmarin,
Seren Valara, Dorin Eldara.
Selmar Enara, Tirith Quenar,
Lumara Silvara, Mystara Ilmarin.

Please Translate the poem into english

ChatGPT
In the language of light, wisdom and love, Sky of peace, water of dreams.
Nature's journey, song's whisper, Earth's silver, time's mystery.
Fire's star, light of harmony, Peace's wisdom, journey's dream.
Spirit's love, time's song, Language of silver, mystery of light.

pberk wrote:

>>Is the word 'admit' the right word here?

I used the word "admit" because of the on going discussion concerning the safety of AI.  I wanted to impart a sense of controversy in the idea that those creating and releasing AI large language models are going full speed ahead despite their lack of understanding of how their own creation works.  The call for a pause went unheeded despite the "admission" that, yes, we don't yet understand how it works.

Thank you.

William