Topic: Affinity Publisher

After struggling for some time with Affinity Publisher, the newest Serif Application, I've come to the conclusion that it is the least useful for publishing a paper book of some length.
PagePlus, neglected for a few years now is still the most useful and user friendly of all publishing programs even if it occasionally throws you out with a popup that offers to notify Serif of a difficulty that it has no intention of receiving.

There is no doubt that Publisher is designed purely to appeal to attract Apple users who produce magazines, Sales brochures and publicity material of just a few pages.
Even after some years it has still failed to produce a solution for footnotes/endnotes and cannot match the convenience of PagePlus's Writeplus.

The hardest change to absorb is the abandonment and standoffish attitude that is shown in the Serif forums nowadays towards its formerly loyal users of PagePlus.

A special thank you to Alfred for keeping this haven for the dispossessed going.
John

Re: Affinity Publisher

johnk wrote:

A special thank you to Alfred for keeping this haven for the dispossessed going.

You’re welcome, John. Belated thanks to you for joining us here!

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

I have had no problem in the past with running PagePlus in Windows 10 but after major breakdown of the OS and having to reinstall the OS Ifind that my Wacom stylus cannot now be relied upon to resize a text box. When I try to use it for that all it does is to move the whole pasteboard around.
Have you Alfred come across this sort of behaviour before? Perhaps you could suggest any way of putting this right please.
John

I found the answer by going to the Wacom page, I had to untick the box that enables something called Windows ink and it did the trick. Sometimes I love the internet.
John

Johnk wrote:

Sometimes I love the internet.

And sometimes not so much, no doubt! Good to know that you resolved the problem.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

6 (edited by GRH 2022-12-08 17:36:16)

Affinity Publisher 2 does have - finally - the 'book' facility, which PagePlusX9 (and possibly before) had. If I had not had InDesign CS6, I would have used PP as, as you rightly say, AP it is best for leaflets and flyers et-al. I think it has quite some catch up to do before it becomes an InDesign replacement contender.
I have to say that in many ways, DrawPlus too is superior to AD, and I have some early software by Aldus - Freehand that still runs on Win 10, it too has facilities that AD does not, such as blend, a circle to a square for example.
I sometimes feel that the Affinity range took a retrograde step with the Affinity Suite.
Many moons ago, I worked for British Rail (NSC) and used Serif PP2 to design the emergency timetables (amongst many other things) when the guards went on strike in the early 90's, it was free on the disk from a computer mag. Happy days.

GRH wrote:

the 'book' facility, which PagePlusX9 (and possibly before) had.

Long, long before! PPX9 is version 19; BookPlus was added for PP10, released well over a decade ago.

― Hermann Hesse

I recently revisited reposted to an old topic, the last entry was in 2019.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. … nt-1035225

Patrick Connor replied, I think his answer demonstrated that loyalty to past customers was not a prime concern of the new Affinity setup.

John Kay