Topic: Attempting to use a Creative Shape

Years ago, actually watching a Photoshop Tutorial, I saved a number of creative ‘shapes/masks/paste into’ shapes as png files that I thought would come in handy (example attached 01). Recently re-discovered and I am now trying to make use of them.

Because the outside area is transparent, I duplicate the mask layer and then can add a photo in between that to get an image covering the border (example attached 02).

But at the moment I cannot work out how then to get a different image within that original inside black area. Anyone any thoughts please?     
https://i.postimg.cc/NLRCMg07/Paste-Into-01.png

https://i.postimg.cc/rKcnRv06/Paste-Into-02.png

Re: Attempting to use a Creative Shape

You only need one copy of the mask layer, but if you have the photo sandwiched in between two copies of the mask then the lower copy shouldn’t get in the way!

Ctrl-click on the thumbnail of the mask shape on the Layers tab, or choose the Magic Wand Tool and click on the shape in the workspace, to create a ‘marching ants’ selection around the shape. On the Layers tab, highlight the photo layer and click on the Add Layer Mask button (at the bottom of the tab) to create a Reveal Selection mask.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Thankyou. I got there in the end although following your instructions it took me quite a few attempts to achieve.

What I had been doing wrong it seems was to put the border in first and then attempt to add an image in the middle. Finally the penny dropped and work on the middle image first and then everything works.

Many thanks. Cannot guess at how many attempts I have had.

Thanks for the update, George. I’m sorry if my instructions weren’t as clear as they might have been, but I’m glad you got there in the end!

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse