1 (edited by William 2022-11-22 10:37:13)

Topic: Bridezilla

Recently I enquired of a business about them doing a task related to printing for me.

As part of the enquiry I asked if proofs would be supplied.

The letter I got said that proofs could be made available, but generally only corporate customers and Bridezillas ask for them.

I had vaguely heard the term Bridezilla before, but I needed to look it up.

I have thought about this.

I remember that back in the 1960s I read a book about running a very small printing business, basically about a sole trader on his own with at one stage assistance from a young person. I had no intention of starting a printing business. The book arrived with an Adana 8 by 5 printing machine, a hand press, the machine bought for hobbyist Private Press printing, not to run a business.

One particular thing I remember from that book, and that has been influential on my attitude in relation to things nothing to do with printing, such as in advising students,  is as follows.

The author of the book suggested a scenario of a potential customer wanting a job done in a shorter time period than the business would take to do the job in the normal course of workflow.

The author said to either accept the job and do it or say that the time scale is too short and decline the job, never say that one will do it "to oblige" or "as a favour". The customer is paying to have a printing job done, the customer is not to become obliged or owing someone a favour.

So I am wondering whether referring to a customer who was being precise and trying to ensure that the job was being done to her satisfaction as a Bridezilla is being dismissive of a customer and smirking about her, as if doing a printing job for her was some sort of grudging tolerance of what is perceived as her unreasonable fussiness. I am concerned that such an attitude tends to result in sloppy work.

Using the word Bridezilla a sort of Freudian slip as to the culture of the business.

So I have regarded the reference to a Bridezilla as a red flag as to the culture of the business. Although I am not female, and not a bride, I wonder if asking a question or specifying something would be regarded as impertinence, ragarded as telling a tradesperson how do their job.

Do you agree, or have I misinterpreted the meaning?

William

Re: Bridezilla

Being unfamiliar with the term ‘Bridezilla’, I looked it up! It seems to refer to someone being obsessively (and, by implication, unreasonably) demanding, and it would put me off giving a business my custom if that’s their view of me.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Yes, I was amazed that that term was used in the email that I received.

Even if that is the culture in the business it seems strange to have written that to a potential customer.

I imagined a lady keen to get everything magnificent for her big day and being precise and asking questions and wanting proofs being laughed at behind her back and sneered at, quite possibly with the result that people who were knowledgable and skilled found that they were incapable of producing as good a result as they would for someone in a smart suit who is driving a brand new car.

It is interesting how the culture of a business varies from business to business.

William

I would have thought that the term  ‘Bridezilla' was used in the context of wedding planning and possibly in the number of last minute changes requested.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.