1 (edited by GStree 2022-02-09 16:11:02)

Topic: Camcorders, cameras, gimbals, equipment etc.

I wonder what makes/types of camcorders/cameras people use to make their videos ?
My favourite of choice that I normally use is a Panasonic HC VXF990 4K that is very user friendly and fully adjustable (shame that the focus ring isn't in the conventional place !) but it is as good as any camcorder in that price range IMHO, also you can charge and run them off a STD phone charger or an external 5v power pack.
I also have a Sony FDR AX53 4K that I bought solely for the amazing stabilization that it has but isn't "totally fully" adjustable, there are "workarounds" that you can do but not "instant" like the Panasonic, however it does have a genuine focus ring in the "correct" place.
I still have 3 of the older Panasonic 900 series that I use for multi camera videos when filming things like musical groups, one of these is an HDC TM900 that has a built in 32gb hard drive as well as an SD card slot that I have had for years and all have given sterling service with no faults but are only 1080p HD. All of my films that I put on my YouTube site are rendered in 1080p but I use 4k for filming some videos so that I can "blow up" parts in post without loosing quality when finally rendered in HD.
I have though several times over the years about getting a more "professional" camcorder, but as I travel to Spain a lot and do a lot of walking around I need something that is more compact/light weight and can be put in a pocket if needs be, also I probably wouldn't use a lot of the facilities that they have.   
https://i.postimg.cc/MMJ7SzSL/Gun-Camera.jpg

Re: Camcorders, cameras, gimbals, equipment etc.

I often get asked how I can pick out and film a close up member of a group playing when I am either standing in one position or moving about yet still keeping the whole group in frame.   I can use several fixed cameras but they take a bit of time to set up and can be moved by people bumping into them or (as happened several times) actually standing in front of them !. It can be done in final editing but you can loose quality when enlarging parts of a scene if it is being filmed and rendered in the same resolution.  I can just turn up to a gig and use this instantly without any hassle.
The GoPro is on a 3 axis gimbal that is set in the locked position and being wide angle I can leave it fixed on the complete group on stage, I can then zoom in on various people or instruments with the main camera either on the stage or even turn round and film the audience. I then edit it all together with a separately recorded sound track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLFV-Tm5DqY

3 (edited by tomH 2022-02-06 17:53:12)

What is the name and brand of the device that holds both your camera and the gimbal? The G45 name is clear on the gimbal, but not the holder. Seems to be a great way  to get both the big picture and some detail a at the same time. I have a DJI Osmo 3-axis gimbal for phones.  Thanks.

4 (edited by GStree 2022-02-06 22:13:51)

tomH wrote:

What is the name and brand of the device that holds both your camera and the gimbal? The G45 name is clear on the gimbal, but not the holder. Seems to be a great way  to get both the big picture and some detail at the same time. I have a DJI Osmo 3-axis gimbal for phones.  Thanks.

Hi, the holder is a Hama 90 degree folding angle DSLR mounting bracket with 1/4" thread mounting screw. I have added another screw on mine to hold the gimbal, the top of the handle has a shoe mount for a mic or a light although I wouldn't use a mic on it as I am moving about. There is a used one for sale on eBay at the moment. Just a thought, I use the viewfinders on my cameras as there is not enough room to fully open the screens with the gimbal in place.
https://i.postimg.cc/9RPm3KwY/Screenshot-1109.png

Thanks Gordon. After some searching I found a similar model on eBay that should do the trick.

tomH wrote:

Thanks Gordon. After some searching I found a similar model on eBay that should do the trick.

This is one for sale, they are very well made and folds up.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393845760643 … 0667.m2042

7 (edited by GStree 2022-02-10 11:02:34)

Very often when I am out I sometimes want to take a shot of us walking for my videos,  I know that you can simply place the camera on the ground or a wall but very often there isn't a suitable place that is secure enough to fix it.
I have looked at several of the mini tripods in the past and decided to get a Ulanzi MT33 that cost a massive £18! It claims that it will hold up to 2Kg, you can fit it to almost anything that the legs will fit round and will hang upside down as well as free standing.  It has a ball head that will swivel to 90deg also a cold shoe mount and a built in phone mount ! It is very well made and if you zoom into the picture that I took that is holding one of my camcorders you can see the quality.
The ones that are made up of clip together plastic balls that hold that sort of weight are a fortune to buy in comparison and very often fall apart after a short time. Last of all it will go in a pocket.This is a picture I took of one of my camcorders on the flexible mount.
https://i.postimg.cc/06c0ffzC/Screenshot-1113.png

I carry this fold flat device about in my pocket for filming things that are low on the ground using close up filters on the camera if needs be, cheap as chips but very stable. The Z Flex tilt head mount is ideal for filming small plants/flowers/insects and of course as the screen on the camcorder can be turned horizontal you can frame/focus the shot easily. Obviously it can be used instead of a tripod if put on a suitable place.
https://i.postimg.cc/ppL1h1cC/Z-flex-tilt-head.jpg

9 (edited by GStree 2022-09-06 07:49:26)

I am actually selling one of my Panasonic camcorders a HDC TM900 with all the parts, a brilliant auto/fully manual camcorder that incorporates a 32GB hard drive as well as an SD slot. I have it on eBay on offer as having 5 camcorders I think is a bit OTT even for multi cam shots !

UPDATE
I eventually sold the TM900 after a time on eBay but only got £90 for it, however somebody got a bargain and it was just taking up space. I had had it for at least 10 years and it had served me well.

https://i.postimg.cc/vgKHGc5h/Steadycam-3.jpg
I sometimes use a setup like this if I am filming long takes indoors, however since getting the Sony AX53 it's almost made the gimbal obsolete. If I use the gimbal and the 53 together the video looks like it's made on a tripod but a bit of overkill.

It's so strange Gordon that you should pop up here .. I have a Sony NX30 .. It has pretty good stabilization. I use a tripod when ever possible. 

I've been thinking of a new camera.  I like the look and the reviews on the Sony FX3 ..  I think it would take me up a level.  I don't mind spending the money if I can convince myself that the films I make with the FX3 deserve it.  And -- if I can convince myself to devote the time to learn a new camera well enough to be able to say "I'm glad I got this FX3 and spent all that money".     So -- no new camera yet .. Right now I think the "little" ideas I have would not come out any better than on my old NX30.   

One of the things about 4k is being able to crop into the image without losing resolution if your final output is 1080p  I envy you that with your AX53.

12 (edited by GStree 2022-09-07 15:12:33)

pberk wrote:

It's so strange Gordon that you should pop up here .. I have a Sony NX30 .. It has pretty good stabilization. I use a tripod when ever possible. 

I've been thinking of a new camera.  I like the look and the reviews on the Sony FX3 ..  I think it would take me up a level.  I don't mind spending the money if I can convince myself that the films I make with the FX3 deserve it.  And -- if I can convince myself to devote the time to learn a new camera well enough to be able to say "I'm glad I got this FX3 and spent all that money".     So -- no new camera yet .. Right now I think the "little" ideas I have would not come out any better than on my old NX30.   

One of the things about 4k is being able to crop into the image without losing resolution if your final output is 1080p  I envy you that with your AX53.

Yes I agree on the "if's and buts" regarding upgrading. I too could afford to buy a more "professional" camera but although it may have more facilities and have better resolution/longer zoom/built in ND filers/more bells n whistles etc, It will be bigger and heavier. I find that I can pop my camcorder like the Panasonic VXF990 into my jacket pocket when I go for a walk or just hang it round my neck in the heat when in Spain. As I, and I presume yourself (along with others on the forum) fully understand how to use a camera in manual settings and their limitations can make a half decent job with what we have, and we won't be the next Steven Spielberg by spending two or three times the amount !
As I may have mentioned in other posts the only good point on the AX53 that I have found is the stabilization that suits me for the type of videos that I make when hand holding, apart from that the 990 is much better as it is fully controllable (unlike the AX53) more user friendly and the video quality is just the same.
My wife, who is a very good stills photographer is often asked what camera she has as it "takes brilliant pictures" she surprises them when she shows them her old Canon G9 compact. However she was bought up using manual 35mm SLRs with "proper film" when you made most shots count. 
I am always surprised that some people buy a half decent camera/camcorder and have never used any manual settings and only use it for "baby on the lawn" epics, but hey ho if that's what they want then who am I to question them.

Hi you guys n gals, how many of you are still using Movieplus ?. Although I do have other software I still go for it when editing as I have been using it since it came out and kept updating it until X6.
I find that I can do "just about" everything that all the others do with a bit of improvising that suits me without spending vast amounts on something that I will never use.
Obviously you can't render directly in 4K but who actually needs it for the type of videos that most of us make ? Although you can render to 2k with Movieplus that is fine but I do film in 4k sometimes and use a free 4k editing software to enlarge certain parts with no loss in quality and render it to 1080p mp4, I then use Movieplus to string it all together for final rendering.
It would be interesting to find out what other "workarounds" people have found.

I use MoviePlusX6 on a weekly basis to create videos for fraternal clubs, averaging 8-10 minutes each for show on their TVs, via SD card or email. They are a compilation of stock videos (subscription), a little smartphone video, and graphics I create in Photoshop. Fortunately, because they are used in bars and social rooms where TV sound would be distracting, I don't have to fool with audio unless there is a companion video for a club's website or Youtube channel.

MoviePlus handles most tasks flawlessly, although it tends to crash during intense work, so I back up frequently and restart the program many times in the editing process. MoviePlus does not handle ChomaKey well enough to use. So I use one of the programs mentioned below when ChromaKeying is required and import the resulting file back to MvP.

I've tried other programs like Premiere/Sony-Magix/PowerDirector but find the interfaces confusing and with many more bells and whistles than I need (AFAIK). I have DaVicni Resolve and if I can become semi-proficient with it I may move away from MoviePlus, but that's a way down the road.

15 (edited by GStree 2023-02-26 20:34:53)

tomH wrote:

MoviePlus handles most tasks flawlessly, although it tends to crash during intense work, so I back up frequently and restart the program many times in the editing process. MoviePlus does not handle ChomaKey well enough to use. So I use one of the programs mentioned below when ChromaKeying is required and import the resulting file back to MvP.

I've tried other programs like Premiere/Sony-Magix/PowerDirector but find the interfaces confusing and with many more bells and whistles than I need (AFAIK). I have DaVicni Resolve and if I can become semi-proficient with it I may move away from MoviePlus, but that's a way down the road.

I do agree regarding crashing especially with intensive work like lots of stabilizations that can cause a bit of aggro, and like you I always make a copy of the programs every now and then while actually editing , especially in long projects. However I do use chroma key in various short advertising videos and find it OK, so do you mean green screen background problems or something else with it ?

Yes, I mean green screen and blue screen backgrounds; even professionally made green screen clips are impossible to key correctly. Before the key is done MvP has washed out the subject or pixilated so badly it's worthless. Having said that, it's the only real complaint I have about the program and I do have a workaround.

I've been using MoviePlus since 3x whether before that I don't know but it seems like years and years, on the shelf as I say I've got 3x,5x, and 6X, I couldn't be without it, I've got Corel VideoStudio and NCH VideoPad but I keep coming back to MoviePlus, for me it's great, I work quickly with it and it just flows.

I used to cover Speedway matches and make up DVD's for sale in the track shop, My wife is into dog showing, so I have videoed Dog Shows too, some of those are on my youtube, and of course I'm always videoing our Elkhounds

I just love Video editing, been doing it since 1980, crash editing then between VHS machines, today's a doddle

Alan

tomH wrote:

Yes, I mean green screen and blue screen backgrounds; even professionally made green screen clips  are impossible to key correctly. Before the key is done MvP has washed out the subject or pixilated so badly it's worthless. Having said that, it's the only real complaint I have about the program and I do have a workaround.

I have had pretty good success with green screening on Movieplus over the years but it does take a fair bit of work to get it right. I will find one to show you that will be on a hard drive somewhere.
One that I had to do involved a wedding that I filmed in Morocco, everything was going fine and was being held outside in perfect weather. We were about to have the speeches when a sudden downpour developed and we were hustled into a small room that was far too small for everybody and I had to try and get to a position to record the various people.
I managed to get some footage of most of the speakers in the crammed dark conditions but missed most of the father of the bride.
When we came back to the UK I went to the brides fathers house and took my green screen backdrop kit with me and he dressed in the exact outfit (I took a photo with me for continuity) and he did the complete speech while I videoed it.
I took a screenshot off of the wedding video of him sitting at the table and got rid of him and anyone beside him in photoshop and placed him making the speech over the screenshot.  As I had also recorded the original wedding on an audio recorder as well I used the sound of the guest laughing and making comments at the relevant times.  I got away with it as the original footage wasn't the best in the dark crowded conditions and had to actually degrade the green screen video to match it!
I had to go to Ireland 3 months later for another one of the same family's wedding so they obviously liked it !

I'm glad you were able to salvage the wedding film with MvP's color keying and I'd like to see it if you can find it.

This is me in the early 80s using some of the first portable affordable video gear with a separate recorder. It cost a fortune back then compered to todays amazing stuff and the quality wasn't great. At least you could see the results immediately unlike the cine film I had used for 20 years previously !

https://i.postimg.cc/7G4tG7T0/old-video-gear.jpg

Well for the last six months I have been using a Panasonic HCX 2000 camcorder, I bought it on a bit of a whim while I was looking on line. I found one that was still in it's box actually unused and still in it's individual plastic coverings. It was up for auction on eBay and I put a silly low price in more to see the result than actually buy it, and much to my surprise I actually bought it for well under 1k !
It is a good bit of kit for what I paid and I really like it.  It is not the camera that I use for my films of music groups/bands in Spain as it is bigger and heavier and not practical for the hand held shots that I use, also I travel really light on our frequent trips.

https://i.postimg.cc/WhHzXQqD/Panasonic.jpg