Topic: Desktop website and mobile website in WP X8

Hi everybody. Even though I purchased WP X8 years ago and never had the chance to use it, now am using it to build a website and I found all the beauty of the friendly user interface. Now, the desktop website is definitely built but I need to use the website also through the smartphone. Am unable to understand what I have to do: to build a parallel mobile version of the site ? If yes, how I can let the server see when to use the mobile site rather the desktop site and vice-versa ? Am a bit rusty..... Anyone could help me with this matter ? Also any suggestion to make responsive sites with WP X8 will be more than accepted. Many thanks in advance.

Re: Desktop website and mobile website in WP X8

Welcome, Carlo! I’m sorry to have to tell you that WebPlus was designed for creating fixed page sizes, so you can’t use it to make responsive sites. It’s theoretically possible to create ‘adaptive’ sites where a different set of pages is automatically chosen for various different screen sizes, but it’s a lot of work. It would be better to use another program such as WYSIWYG Web Builder.

There is some code you can add to a WebPlus site to make it switch between a desktop version and a mobile version. I hope one of our fellow forum members can help you with that.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

3 (edited by Alfred 2023-06-23 12:30:00)

Hi Alfred and thank you so much for your quick reply. I was asking because I saved some screenshots some years ago, showing how to make responsive web pages in WebPlus X8, but for me ia a bit like arabic. Just for your curiosity I have attached one of those screenshots. Hope to count again on your help Alfred. Again thanks a million.

[Further screenshots added by moderator]

Post's attachments

Screenshot_1.png 155.57 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Screenshot_20190310-100716.png 397.79 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

Screenshot_20190310-100735.png 303.36 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Hi Carlo,

The screenshots you listed are showing a system that Nigel (nfc212) wrote and used along with a third party grid system (https://github.com/thisisdallas/simple-grid) which he also tweeked. Sadly Nigel is no longer with us, or his files (unless someone on the forum has copies) and to make it work would require some programming.

There are times when it's better to start from scratch and bite the bullet by learning how to use new software. As Alfred has suggested, WYSIWYG Web Builder is a good program https://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/ , I have it and it will do everything you need plus a whole host of other things all out of the box. Yes there is a learning curve but the results are worth the effort.

Joe

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Hi Joe,
thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. Am so sorry about Nigel...
You are right but actually I was thinking to learn a new software like WordPress or whatever but to be honest this was not my primary job and the latest website I did is dated back over 20 years ago. I started with the very first PagePlus versions and keep buying newer versions but used them very little. So for me, this is the first time I used Webplus X8. The software is great but of course technology moved on and you have to look to a new way to build websites. The age has its weight and to learn a new software takes time and the website owner asked me to build it now ! I will take into account your suggestions and if I need some help I hope to count on you !
Once again, thank you very much.
Carlo