Topic: Other movie-editing software

MoviePlus do members still use this or have they like my husband moved onto other NLE software?  I still use it as it does all I need for my videoing, and I am fully comfortable with using it.  My husband now also uses a program called Blufftitler alongside his NLE which he uses for intro/Outros and lower thirds.  He says it it easier to use that NewBlue Titler pro 7 and Title Studio from Boris FX.  Vicki

Always searching for the keys of knowledge

Re: Other movie-editing software

Pioneer wrote:

MoviePlus do members still use this or have they like my husband moved onto other NLE software?  I still use it as it does all I need for my videoing, and I am fully comfortable with using it.

Although I have other software I still use Movieplus X6 as it is very easy to use and was far ahead of it's time and a pity it wasn't continued.
It's perfect for editing all my old 1080p stuff and I even edit 4K and render it down to 2K. OK it is not as fast as some of the ones available but hey ho I am not in any hurry at my age.

was far ahead of it's time

Yes MVP contained some useful tricks which I've not found in other consumer software.  For example audio buses (groups), the ability to set animation keyframes relative to start or end plus other situations, animation of audio FX at clip, track and bus level.

But other software has its own useful tricks.  I still have MVPX6 installed and working but nowadays use Vegas Movie Studio 17 Platinum.  Sadly it's now a discontinued product as the developers are concentrating on Vegas Pro.  What I like about more modern software is their dark interface.

ericlnz wrote:

was far ahead of it's time

Yes MVP contained some useful tricks which I've not found in other consumer software.  For example audio buses (groups), the ability to set animation keyframes relative to start or end plus other situations, animation of audio FX at clip, track and bus level.

But other software has its own useful tricks.  I still have MVPX6 installed and working but nowadays use Vegas Movie Studio 17 Platinum.  Sadly it's now a discontinued product as the developers are concentrating on Vegas Pro.  What I like about more modern software is their dark interface.

Yes exactly, what I really like is that it's not a "cluttered" interface full up with stuff that you would only use once in a blue moon (if ever)

I still use MoviePlus 5 (not x5) since 2015 for my private Stuff and the Cinegy Ingest Software for TV and Cinema. I have tried many other NLEs but none would make me switch again. Yes, with the MoviePlus 5 I don't have to bother about the Keys for the Codecs unlike the MoviePlus x5/x6 Users but even for those Users are many Solutions available to still use these Versions without the Codec Keys. But in the End it's just a matter of Taste.

Cheers

Mickey

P.S.: Thank you Alfred for creating this Forum.

May U live 2 C the Dawn

Mickey wrote:

P.S.: Thank you Alfred for creating this Forum.

Welcome, Mickey. Thank you for joining us.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

I have tried a lot of video editing software, free and paid for ones,
but still come back to MoviePlus X6 simply because it is so much easier to use.
I have had a lot of help from members of the Community Plus forum over the years
so thank you Alfred for setting up this forum.

stuarthillier wrote:

I have had a lot of help from members of the Community Plus forum over the years
so thank you Alfred for setting up this forum.

Welcome, Stuart. Thank you for joining us.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

MoviePlus has been my go to for years of video work for a volunteer group. So sad its been discontinued. Its so easy to use and plenty versatile. Still my favorite! I've been playing around with Movavi Suite, but not as happy with it.

I have been having a look at various "actually free" editing software and found this one that actually does what it says on the tin and without adding watermarks !
https://www.videoproc.com/video-editing-software/
I found it easy to use and it will edit and export 4K.

I'm still using MVP X6, though I'm trying to get to grips with Shotcut . . . not too successfully.

Steve wrote:

I'm still using MVP X6, though I'm trying to get to grips with Shotcut . . . not too successfully.

What attracted you to Shotcut (apart from its being free and open-source!) and what difficulties have you encountered? https://punster.me/images/ears.gif

― Hermann Hesse

I stumbled across this video from the BBC Archive Channel. It's a fascinating look at how to edit home videos back in 1987. To a man of 71, that seems just like yesterday, I do not think I could be bothered to edit anything using the equipment Sue Robbie was demonstrating. https://youtu.be/_cnQv8JCsX4

Albert Ross wrote:

I stumbled across this video from the BBC Archive Channel. It's a fascinating look at how to edit home videos back in 1987. To a man of 71, that seems just like yesterday, I do not think I could be bothered to edit anything using the equipment Sue Robbie was demonstrating. https://youtu.be/_cnQv8JCsX4

Wow Albert.  Thanks for posting.  This took me back to those days.  I did quite a bit of editing this way.    Laborious to be sure.  Basically just “add-on” editing and music dubbing.  My final project along these lines was to take about 30 years of 8mm footage and cut it down to about 90 minutes.  I transferred the 8mm by doing an “optical transfer”, meaning that I used the video camera to shoot the projected image of the 8mm.   The quality was weak but It was a family favorite as the kids grew up in a little over an hour.

I missed out on VCR days due to my 25 years "LOA" from film making.  Jumping from Super 8 film of the early 80s to DV-AVI around 2005 was easy.  But I hear stories from my movie making friends of the difficulties and frustrations of VCR.

I remember trying to "edit" some video which I took in Sri Lanka back in the late 1980s. I played the raw footage from the camcorder onto the TV and paused it just before I needed to record it. I then pressed record on the VHS recorder and play on the camcorder and quickly paused the recording where I wanted the clip to end. To say it was laborious would be an under statement. Needless to say I gave up after half an hour or so.

I am still using Movieplus but do use this for certain parts. Free download and no watermarks.
https://www.videoproc.com/video-editing-software/

I love my MoviePlus, But always nagging  at the back of my head is where would I be without it, so I had been looking around at other software to replace it in case that dreadful day ever came.

I've recently tried NCH VideoPad, It's free to download and use, I got on with it fairly well, so I bought it, now everything works.

I put this little video up on youtube that I edited in VideoPad yesterday, the time it took I could have done in a fraction of the time with Movieplus, Exporting it to an Mp4 seemed to take forever but the quality is very good, This is the video, the early clips are from the late 1980's taken on an old 8mm shoulder mounted camera.

https://youtu.be/rOLYaw57G4Y

I am giving OpenShot video editor a try.

I wasn't aware I had to export my PagePlus codecs for re-use on my new PC so now I can only work with mov and wmf out of the box, which is pretty limiting. I can't export to mp4. I'm trying to add additional codecs but that seems to require having a sample file up front and that is if the software can find a codec for the file in media. It doesn't seem possible to load a 3rd party codec up front.

Because of some videos I had from this past weekend I tried to install my old copy of MVP X3 but it failed! I contacted Serif (Affinity) and learned from Patrick Connor that this was the case due to the expired licences for parts of the program which lead to its demise.
As a result I turned to NCH's VideoPad which certainly did what I needed to achieve so that I could compare my first time sprint time with my second run at the Shere Hill Climb!
Ian

Ian - I'm sure MVPX3 didn't have codec unlocking.  It was introduced with MVPX5. So I'm not aware of any reason that should stop X3 installing.  What exactly happened when you tried to install?