Topic: Morse code and extensions

Some readers may remember the following from over five years ago.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/s … _emoji.htm

I imagine a telegraph office in the Old West with a lady sat with rolls of printed emoji symbols, cutting them off the rolls as needed, some in soft colours, and pasting them within the telegrapher's handwritten message in the gaps he has left for the purpose.

I have now thought of a potentially useful extension to Morse code.

Suppose that there is a specific, at present unused, Morse code sequence.

Suppose that after each use of that specific new Morse code character one can have four, six or seven already existing Morse Code characters, that together indicate a specific Unicode character.

For plane 0, four characters to give the hexadecimal sequence of the Unicode character.

For planes 1 to 15, six characters, X followed by five characters to give the hexadecimal sequence of the Unicode character.

For plane 16, seven characters, V followed by six characters to give the hexadecimal sequence of the Unicode character.

This could allow access to any Unicode character that now encoded and those yet to become encoded too.

William

Re: Morse code and extensions

Hi William,

How would the receiver of the message write the unicode character before passing the complete message to it's intended recipient?

Joe

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Hi Joe

At the most basic level by writing U+WXYZ where W, X, Y, and Z here represent any of the sixteen hexadecimal characters, that is each of W, X, Y, and Z as expressed here would be one of 1, 2, .. 9, A .. F as appropriate for the particular Unicode character.

William

4 (edited by GB 2023-07-31 00:44:29)

I find it difficult to imagine why one would want to use emojis in a morse code message. Or, like Joe, if they were used, how the transcriber would write/draw them.

The format could be used for any Unicode character, not just emoji.

William