Topic: WebPlus X8 publishing to web now

I have used WebPlus X8 successfully for many years and like it. I sold my last business web site that was e commerce with many pages and worked well. I now want to build another website but am worried about whether there will be any problems once uploaded due to it's age. I've looked at Wordpress but actually much prefer my good old WebPlus X8, I know you can't teach an old new tricks but even with a Wordpress guide for idiots it just doesn't work for me and trying to find answers to simple things is not easy. If anyone has recently uploaded/published using WebPlusX8 would like to hear about any problems. Cheers Guys and Girls.

Re: WebPlus X8 publishing to web now

Thanks for joining us here, Dennis!

The main problem with WebPlus X8 is that it only produces fixed page layouts, so you can’t use it to create truly responsive or adaptive pages to suit different viewing devices. The best you can do is to create a ‘desktop’ site and a ‘mobile’ site, using the redirection feature in WPX8 to display the most appropriate version.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Hi Alfred, Thanks help. Now having trouble publishing, it published once and now keeps saying FTP error contact host. They say all working their end and have tested it. Tried using FileZilla but same problem. Very frustrating for years it worked without problem. Any ideas as I'm stumped. Dennis

denlevy wrote:

Very frustrating for years it worked without problem. Any ideas as I'm stumped.

It sounds very much as though they’ve changed something at their end, but you’d think they might know that! Who is your hosting company? Have they perhaps switched from FTP to either FTPS or SFTP (both of which are supported by WPX8, but some of the connection details are different)?

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Hi Alfred, Problem solved. Nothing to do with me or host. My Broadband supplier SKY had blocked the FTP Host address and not bothered to tell me, said it was "not safe for children" I have no children at home and have never touched settings etc. Now working exactly as it should. My Host Namesco who I've been with for years were very patient with me and gladly have a phone number for technical help, at standard call rates. Hopefully if this happens to others this may be the answer, if Windows Security find a risk they send a message to warn you just in case. All that frustration and waste of time. Thanks Alfred.

Thanks for the update. It is indeed very frustrating when service providers make changes like that without telling their customers! Sadly, I’m sure you won’t be the last person to fall victim to this.

― Hermann Hesse