Re: On the computer, off the computer, some of each

Yes, I should have said ‘heavy’ rather than ‘thick’. I was slightly wrong-footed by William’s reference to ‘thin card’.

I imagine that many of the fibres in ‘canvas’ type paper are quite heavily compressed to produce the desired texture, which would result in the end product being relatively heavy despite being thin enough to pass easily through the printer.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

It is heavy. And thin enough for the printer.  Works out well.  Nice effect. Or is that affect?  I forget.

pberk wrote:

Nice effect. Or is that affect?  I forget.

Effect, since you ask! Affect is usually a verb (although in linguistics it refers to the attitude or emotion that you convey by the way you say something).

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

My copy of Microsoft Word 2010 doesn't always pick up the grammar error using affect and effect.

No grammar error in Word:
He affected an Irish accent.
He effected an Irish accent

Grammar error detected in Word:
His language skills had no effect on his success.
His language skills had no affect on his success.

That looks OK to me, Paul! Just as ‘affect’ is usually but not always a verb, ‘effect’ is usually a noun but is quite frequently a verb, as in ‘He wanted to effect change’ (where it means to accomplish or bring into being). Having said that, I suspect that most of us wouldn’t generally talk about ‘effecting’ an accent.

― Hermann Hesse

William wrote:

Ooh!

The thing is I got the 12 pencil set and the 24 pencil set delivered with the grocery by Tesco.

Where can someone get the 36 pencil set please?

The search is on!

William

I’m just wondering if you’re still interested in the set of 36 pencils, William. Perhaps you’ve decided that 24 is more than adequate for your current needs!

― Hermann Hesse

Well, if they were to become available at Tesco for online delivery I would add a pack to my grocery order, but I have not made any effort to get a pack from elsewhere as of yet.

William

I suspected as much. I also suspect it’s quite a niche area, and I’d therefore be pleasantly surprised if they do become available in grocery stores (other than, perhaps, the very largest ones).

― Hermann Hesse

On a somewhat related note, I was interested to discover this page on the Staedtler website:

https://www.staedtler.com/uk/en/discover/noris-digital

― Hermann Hesse

35 (edited by William 2024-02-20 14:17:41)

I tend to do bits of art to explore a concept. So, here, I worked through drawing a picture using an adapted frame as a solid drawing pad then framing the resulting picture. Doing another picture could be good, but it is using the same concept again.

I think that the next stage is to try to draw a similar picture in Affinity Designer using the same colour palette as for the picture that I drew with the twelve colour pencil set. That will involve me setting up the colours in Affinity Designer, but I want to try to do it by making a palette that can be used in various drawings, so I need to learn how to do that. Doing it as a vector drawing so that it could be printed out huge (in my dreams!)

Though one never knows. In 2004 or thereabouts I produced the following A3 PDF document. I thought it would probably never get printed out full size. Now I have prints of it at A3 sze on 350 gsm paper that cost me under 60p each. Only a few copies, no minimum quantity that would be way beyond what I need.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/drawing2.PDF

William

William wrote:

I think that the next stage is to try to draw a similar picture in Affinity Designer using the same colour palette as for the picture that I drew with the twelve colour pencil set. That will involve me setting up the colours in Affinity Designer, but I want to try to do it by making a palette that can be used in various drawings, so I need to learn how to do that. Doing it as a vector drawing so that it could be printed out huge (in my dreams!)

“Here’s one I made earlier.”

The attached Affinity Designer file shows swatches for the 12-colour set, with a list of their names underneath. When you open it in AD, you should find that there’s a document palette (‘Staedtler 12’) in the Swatches panel. I’ll leave it as an exercise for you to create an application palette that you can use in other drawings.

Post's attachments

Staedtler-12.afdesign 71.16 kb, 6 downloads since 2024-02-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
― Hermann Hesse

Thank you.

4 downloads so far.

I wonder if some pictures will be posted (I hope so)

William

I have found on my laptop computer that using an external USB keyboard and mousekeys to press down and hold down while using the Pencil Tool of Affinity Designer is much easier to use than keeping push down pressure on the trackpad of the laptop computer.

One needs to use the keys at the far right of a full USB external keyboard

/50 to push down and it stays down until

. releases.

William

William wrote:

Thank you.

4 downloads so far.

You’re welcome.

At least one of those downloads was mine, checking that the link worked correctly.

― Hermann Hesse

William wrote:

I have found on my laptop computer that using an external USB keyboard and mousekeys to press down and hold down while using the Pencil Tool of Affinity Designer is much easier to use than keeping push down pressure on the trackpad of the laptop computer.

I’m not at all sure what you’re describing!

William wrote:

One needs to use the keys at the far right of a full USB external keyboard

/50 to push down and it stays down until

. releases.

Again, I’m not sure what you mean. Are you referring to the numeric keypad?

― Hermann Hesse

41 (edited by William 2024-02-20 17:45:47)

To draw with the Pencil Tool in Affinity Designer one needs to do a mouse drag in order to draw something.

Doing that conventionally means having downwards pressure on the trackpad, or on the button of an external mouse unit, continually - letting the pressure stop causes the drawing to stop happening.

But if one uses mousekeys /50 to push down the mouse key it stays down until released using a . character. So one can draw with the Pencil Tool without needing to apply the pressure to hold the mouse key down - one can even take one's finger up from the trackpad then go down again without the mouse drag stopping.

I have found using the Pencil Tool much easier and better results too using this method.

Yes, on the numeric keypad.

William

Thank you for your explanation. You really ought to try drawing on your graphics tablet: it should yield a much more natural experience than a trackpad.

― Hermann Hesse

So, 11:33 am and I am using the computer that has the Affinity software upon it and I have just now downloaded the file that you kindly produced and I have opened it in Affinity Designer and wondering what to do next.

I want to have an A4 landscape document with a rectangle as a guide, the rectangle centred and 8.5 inches wide by 6.5 inches high for compatibility with the picture that I drew with the physical coloured pencils, and so that if I get a print from Viking Virtual Print House then the print will fit well into one of the Tesco A4 frames with a mount that I have so as to produce a finished work of art.

So now to have a look at how to proceed.

William

William wrote:

wondering what to do next

It looks as though you’ve already decided what to do next!

William wrote:

I want to have an A4 landscape document with a rectangle as a guide, the rectangle centred and 8.5 inches wide by 6.5 inches high for compatibility with the picture that I drew with the physical coloured pencils, and so that if I get a print from Viking Virtual Print House then the print will fit well into one of the Tesco A4 frames with a mount that I have so as to produce a finished work of art.

― Hermann Hesse

11:44

So I used Document Setup to convert to A4 using Anchor to Page so as not to enlarge the colour rectangles and the lettering.

Then I made it landscape.

Select All and Group, then move the group to the left so it is out of the way of the main drawing area, then ungroup.

Save as Staedtler-12_001.afdesign

William

11:50

Change the Document Setup to Inches to facilitate adding the rectangle.

I think that I need to have that in a separate layer then I can switch its display off when I want to export the picture, either for a screen or for printing.

Add the rectangle at 8.5 inches wide and 6.5 inches wide at 5 point and black with a null fill and centre and middle it.

Start a new layer.

Draw a line with the Pencil Tool to show it is working, delete that line.

Save the file.

William

11:59

The items that Alfred produced are now placed such that if the whole page is printed then they would be hidden underneath the mount when framed.

I have enlarged the type to 12 point.

William

12:06

Now I am going to try drawing in colours.

On the physical drawing I started with the sun, but the yellow does not show brightly so I will start with the Light blue for the cloud edges and the sky.

William

12:10

At the moment I am trying to work out how I get the pale blue of what Alfred supplied to be the colour in which the Pencil Tool draws.

William

12:19

There is a problem.

I clicked on the Pale Blue that Alfred supplied, and that locked in as the fill at both upper left and upper right. But if I swapped at the right, then the Pencil Tool was Pale Blue but the filled colour in Alfred's Palette changed colour to what was previously the fill colour.

So leave it all for now and try to think it out and perhaps receive advice.

William