Topic: loading Movieplus x6 on new computer

Hi Guys, wonder if any of you can help, I've just bought a new computer, it has Windows 11 on it, when I put my movieplus x6 disc in, it won't load. I have downloaded the unlock files onto a dongle, but haven't put it on the computer yet, should I have put the unlock files on the computer first before trying to load the movieplus disk, hope someone can help. TIA.

Alan

Re: loading Movieplus x6 on new computer

No, you import the codes into MVPX6 when you have it working.

When you insert your X6 disc what exactly happens, or doesn't happen.  Can you see the disc in Windows Explorer?

Thank you for your reply, nothing happens when I put the disc in, it starts the green light and then just sits there, on one occasion the green light kept flashing on and off, and you could hear a rumbling in the drive, but nothing shows on the screen at all.

The drive works perfectly fine with other discs.

Very curious.

Eric asked whether you can see the disc in Windows Explorer. When you open an Explorer window, you should see the CD/DVD drive. If it shows you the files on your MoviePlus disc, it’s possible that it’s simply failing to autorun, in which case the thing to do is to copy the contents to a new folder on your hard drive, locate ‘setup.exe’ in that folder and double-click it to run the installer.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

5 (edited by ericlnz 2024-02-10 09:12:45)

With the disc is in the drive if you go to "My Computer" where you can see your pc drives etc listed does it show anything in your CD/DVD Drive.  If it doesn't then you probably have a bad disc.  But if it's worked before that's strange as Serif's discs were pressed discs, not burnt ones, so shouldn't deteriorate.  Is the surface of your disc clean and undamaged?

Edit:  If it does show the disc and its contents then proceed as Alfred has suggested.

Thank you both Eric and Alfred, I'll have a go again later today with what you have said, I'll let you know later how I've got on.

I have got another Editing programme that I use, but do love Movieplus, just like to have it around.

Eric and Alfred, Tried it again to no avail, so, tried my X5 disc, that's loaded fine, all working now, quite happy with that. Obvious something wrong with the X6 disc, at least I've got Movieplus now if I want it.

Thank you both again

Alan, I've sent you a PM.
As per the note at the forum header

Private messages: There is no pop-up alert for new PMs on these forums, so you need to look out for the PM link (near the top right-hand corner of the page) becoming bold.

9 (edited by Alan Hodkinson 2024-02-11 21:37:46)

ericlnz wrote:

Private messages: There is no pop-up alert for new PMs on these forums, so you need to look out for the PM link (near the top right-hand corner of the page) becoming bold.

Thank you so much Eric, Movieplus X6 is now loaded on the new computer, I am so grateful to you, thank you again.

10 (edited by Alan Hodkinson 2024-02-13 16:20:29)

Alan Hodkinson wrote:
ericlnz wrote:

Thank you so much Eric, Movieplus X6 is now loaded on the new computer, I am so grateful to you, thank you again.

Hi Eric and Alfred, well Movieplus x6 loaded onto the computer fine, I also loaded the unlocking files onto the computer too but it say they are not operative on this computer so I cant open clips in X6 or x5, shame, but don't know what else I can do now, never mind I've got Videopad I can work with.

Would it be that the unlock files wont work with Windows 11 which is now on my new computer.

Alan Hodkinson wrote:

Hi Eric and Alfred, well Movieplus x6 loaded onto the computer fine, I also loaded the unlocking files onto the computer too but it say they are not operative on this computer so I cant open clips in X6 or x5, shame, but don't know what else I can do now, never mind I've got Videopad I can work with.

Would it be that the unlock files wont work with Windows 11 which is now on my new computer.

I see that you refer here to ‘files’, plural. The unlock codes should be in a single *.mfu file: is that what you’ve actually been trying to use?

Alan Hodkinson wrote:

it say they are not operative on this computer

Please post the exact wording of the error message.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Also your X5 unlock file won't work with X6 and vice versa.  You must use the X5 mfu with X5 and the X6 mfu file with X6.

Are you correctly importing them via Tools/Options/Advanced/Manage Unlock Codes/Import?

13 (edited by Alan Hodkinson 2024-02-14 12:41:17)

Hi Alfred and Eric, I'm going to have to postpone tying to get Movieplus on my new computer, I've got so many other things to do I'll have to try again at a later date.

Alfred, it is an *.mfu file, I just used the term files.

The other message I got was when I double clicked on a video clip, I've sorted that now, just me getting used to the new computer.

Eric, When I come to try it again, where do I load the unlock file to, before, I dragged it to the Movieplus X6 file, was that right or wrong, I've removed it at the moment.

Sorry to be a pain guys, I do appreciate your help, thank you

I always thought I was good with computers, but, at 93 perhaps I'm not so good as I thought.

Alan

Alan Hodkinson wrote:
When I come to try it again, where do I load the unlock file to, before, I dragged it to the Movieplus X6 file, was that right or wrong, I've removed it at the moment.

The .mfu file needs to be imported into the program itself.

1) Run MoviePlus X6
2) From the 'Tools' menu, select 'Options'
3) From the left hand pane, select 'Advanced' and click on 'Manage Unlock Codes'
4) Click on 'Import', bottom left hand corner, and navigate to where your .mfu file is located.
5) Click on the file and then click on 'open' and hopefully that will be that.

Albert, you're a real gent, that explained it move by move, worked a treat, all working now, thank you so much, I obviously was loading it wrongly.

Can't thank you enough

Alan

Thanks for the update, Alan. It’s good to hear that MoviePlus is once again working as you expected.

― Hermann Hesse

Alfred wrote:

Thanks for the update, Alan. It’s good to hear that MoviePlus is once again working as you expected.

Thank you all on here Alfred, It's good to have this forum, what a great pity Serif dropped MoviePlus, it's one of the nicest to use video editor I've used

Alan Hodkinson wrote:

It's good to have this forum, what a great pity Serif dropped MoviePlus, it's one of the nicest to use video editor I've used

https://punster.me/images/thumbup1.gif

― Hermann Hesse