Topic: My Windows 10 computer has gone a bit wrong

The bar along the lower edge of the screen is just black, when usually it would have logos of various programs such as Edge and WordPad.

Where it has

Type here to search

I cannot enter text, so I cannot get WordPad started.

I cannot close down from the on-screen Windows symbol in the left corner by left clicking to get

Power

though I can close down by right clicking on that symbol and proceeding that way.

I have tried switching off an restarting.

Can anyone help please?

William

Re: My Windows 10 computer has gone a bit wrong

Oh. I have just tried switching it off using the on-off switch and holding it down for a while and then switched it on again.

Windows came up with the picture looking out of the cave and all seems to be right again now.

I wonder what had happened.

William

I’m glad it seems to have righted itself, William, but for future reference you should be able to run a named program via the dialog box that pops up when you use WinKey+R. For WordPad, the sequence would be:

1. Press and hold the Windows key (the one with the Windows logo, to the left of the space bar).
2. Press and release the R key, and then release the Windows key.
3. Type or paste the application name WordPad into the ‘Run’ box.
4. Press the ‘OK’ button in the dialog, or press the Enter key on your keyboard.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Thank you.

William

I should have mentioned that the next time you use WinKey+R the previous text will still be there, so if you always use it for the same program it’s almost as quick as clicking on a shortcut icon on the Windows Desktop.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse