Topic: Re-sizing Columns in Table Tool

Admittedly it is a Tool I rarely use, I am struggling to re-size my columns. My aim had been to create a Table of 29 rows and five columns.

As can be seen from the screenshot, from just trying to adjust the columns and am not even there yet, the row sizes are now not equal.

Surely there must be an easy way to re-size, please? Mind you, I note that there are various options of Table Formats one can use, and so is any one better than the other or are differences just cosmetic?

https://i.postimg.cc/tnh3zwNV/Table-Tool.jpg

Re: Re-sizing Columns in Table Tool

When you click on the Table object to select it, you should see grey buttons along the top and down the left-hand side. Mousing over the line between two buttons will make the cursor change to a double-headed arrow, and if you click and drag you’ll change the height or width of the button above or to its left, and the corresponding row or column will resize accordingly. In your case, however, you simply want to make all of your columns the same width, and the easiest way to do that is via the ‘Set Column Widths…’ option on the Table menu.

The difference between the various table formats is indeed purely cosmetic, as far as I’m aware.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Yes I found the double headed arrow, but after re-sizing a column, I am getting the width of the ‘Table’ move each time. Then when I re-adjust that, so does the column I have just adjusted. I cannot seem to maintain the Table within it’s starting confines. Everytime I adjust a column, so does the width of that Table and vice versa.   

Co-incidentally I have found another way. Highlight a column, right click ‘Table’, then ‘Set Column Width’ but again I cannot get my Table to stay in one position whilst I adjust the column widths.

Really only by a means of Trial and Error I seem to have got somewhere near where I had hoped. However now I seem to have come another problem.

Whatever I enter in a Row I want to appear in a straight line. Apart from the first Row, none of the next three Rows are in a straight line. And this has then seemingly caused a variance in the heighth of each Row. How can I adjust?

https://i.postimg.cc/5Y2hrH9f/Table-Tool-02.jpg

It looks to me as though you’ve pressed the Enter key on your keyboard after typing the text for rows 3 and 4, but not for row 2. The text for the latter therefore fits on one line, but the text for the other rows spills over onto a second line and the visible text gets pushed up.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Thankyou for that observation. There was no way I would have realised I had pressed ‘Enter’, probably just done automatic. Just out of interest whilst I deleted the entries in that Table, I could not adjust the Row height, the Rows seemed to be locked.

Not to worry, in the end I created a completely new Table, different format, adjusted the columns a bit easier and have started entering details, remembering and trying this time not to press ‘Return’. So far so good.

Thankyou again for your help.