Topic: AI aiming at writing an original story to a specified ending

[I have been trying to get Bing Chat AI to write an original story leading up to a specified final line. Here is the third New Topic attempt with the same prompt]

Please write an original short story where the final line is "But you did not say that the twin sisters should be identical twin sisters!".

Once upon a time, in the small town of Bakersville, lived a peculiar baker named Mr. Crumble. He was known for his delicious pastries and his eccentric personality. One day, he announced a contest that intrigued the entire town. The challenge was to find twin sisters who could bake the best apple pie.

The townsfolk were excited. Twin sisters, Lily and Daisy, known for their culinary skills, decided to participate. They were not identical but shared an uncanny similarity in their mannerisms and love for baking.

The day of the contest arrived. The aroma of freshly baked apple pies filled the air. The townsfolk gathered around Mr. Crumble's bakery, their eyes gleaming with anticipation. Lily and Daisy, with their matching aprons and bright smiles, presented their pie to Mr. Crumble.

Mr. Crumble took a bite, and his eyes lit up. "This is the best apple pie I've ever tasted!" he exclaimed. The crowd cheered, but his assistant, a stickler for rules, looked confused.

"But sir," he said, "the contest rules stated the pie should be baked by twin sisters."

"Yes, that's correct," replied Mr. Crumble, still savoring the pie.

"But you did not say that the twin sisters should be identical twin sisters!"

[This is reasonably good, but it gives the twist in the story away to early, so here is my slightly edited version]

Once upon a time, in the small town of Bakersville, lived a peculiar baker named Mr. Crumble. He was known for his delicious pastries and his eccentric personality. One day, he announced a contest that intrigued the entire town. The challenge was to find twin sisters who could bake the best apple pie.

The townsfolk were excited. Twin sisters, Lily and Daisy, known for their culinary skills, decided to participate.

The day of the contest arrived. The aroma of freshly baked apple pies filled the air. The townsfolk gathered around Mr. Crumble's bakery, their eyes gleaming with anticipation. Lily and Daisy, with their matching aprons and bright smiles, presented their pie to Mr. Crumble.

Mr. Crumble took a bite, and his eyes lit up. "This is the best apple pie I've ever tasted!" he exclaimed.

The red-haired Lily smiled at her fair-haired twin sister, who smiled in return.

The crowd cheered, but his assistant, a stickler for rules, looked confused.

"But sir," he said, "the contest rules stated the pie should be baked by twin sisters."

"Yes, that's correct," replied Mr. Crumble, still savoring the pie.

"But you did not say that the twin sisters should be identical twin sisters!"

[When I devised the prompt I was thinking of a theatrical agency having been asked to send two twin sisters to a film studio to take part in a movie and the angry film director is ringing up to complain!]

William

Re: AI aiming at writing an original story to a specified ending

This from an AI named "Claude 3 Sonnet" .. It's tepid and the ending doesn't fit.

The theater director stared at the two young women standing before her on the bare stage. Their auditions had been impressive, displaying a natural talent for dramatic interpretation that was quite rare. The director saw great potential in casting them as the twin sisters in the upcoming production of the classic play.

"Ladies, I think you both captured the essence of the sibling rivalry and complex relationship between the sisters magnificently," the director said, eyeing them thoughtfully. "I can already envision the powerful dynamics you'd bring to those pivotal roles."

One had auburn hair while the other was blonde. Their facial features showed distinct individuality, from the shapes of their eyes to the lines of their jawbones. Clearly, they were sisters, but not identical twins.

"Thank you for this opportunity," the auburn-haired sister replied graciously. "We've workshopped those characters extensively and aimed to highlight their contrasting personalities."

The director nodded firmly. "Well, I'm convinced you are the ideal pair to portray the sisters. Welcome to the cast." She offered a warm smile.

The two young actresses beamed, embracing each other tightly in their excitement. As they pulled apart, the blonde sister said with an impish grin, "But you did not say that the twin sisters should be identical twin sisters!"

I fixed the story.

The theater director stared at the two young women standing before her on the bare stage. Their auditions had been impressive, displaying a natural talent for dramatic interpretation that was quite rare. The director saw great potential in casting them as the twin sisters in the upcoming production of the classic play.  But they clearly were not twins.  One had Auburn hair, the other blonde. 

"Ladies, I think you both captured the essence of the sibling rivalry and complex relationship between the sisters magnificently," the director said, eyeing them thoughtfully. "I can already envision the powerful dynamics you'd bring to those pivotal roles.  It’s a shame you aren’t twins.  I’m sorry but we need twin sisters.  It’s really a shame.  But thank you for an entertaining audition.”

"Thank you for this opportunity," the auburn-haired sister replied graciously. "We've workshopped those characters extensively and aimed to highlight their contrasting personalities."

The director shook his head.  "But Didn’t you hear me?  I said we need twins for this.  I didn’t mean to suggest that I could give you the parts.  I can’t.  We need twins.  I’m afraid you’re wasting my time."

The two young actresses beamed, embracing each other tightly in their excitement. As they pulled apart, the blonde sister said with an impish grin, "We understand you want twins.  And in fact we are twins.  But you did not say that the twin sisters should be identical twin sisters!"

4 (edited by William 2024-03-08 09:52:05)

[This morning I devised the following prompt and Bing Chat AI produced the original story at first attempt. I find that amazing.]

Please write an original story with the following final sentence. Then, having finished singing her song, the dragon curtsied gracefully, then turned and flew away towards the setting sun.

Once upon a time, in a land where the mountains kissed the sky, there lived a dragon named Seraphina. Unlike other dragons, Seraphina had a unique gift - she could sing. Her voice was as enchanting as the rustling leaves in the wind, as soothing as the babbling brooks, and as powerful as the thunderous roars of the stormy sea.

Seraphina lived in solitude, atop the highest peak of the tallest mountain. The villagers living at the foot of the mountain feared her, for they had heard tales of dragons breathing fire and causing destruction. But Seraphina was different. She had no interest in terrorizing the villagers. Instead, she spent her days soaring through the sky, exploring the vast landscapes, and singing her heart out.

One day, a young girl named Lily ventured up the mountain. She was curious and fearless, and she wanted to see the dragon for herself. As she neared the peak, she heard a beautiful melody echoing through the mountains. It was Seraphina, singing her song.

Lily was mesmerized. She had never heard anything so beautiful. She approached Seraphina and said, “Your voice is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard. Will you come down to the village and share your gift with everyone?”

Seraphina was hesitant. She feared the villagers would not accept her. But Lily was persistent. She convinced Seraphina that her gift was meant to be shared, not hidden away.

The next day, as the sun began to set, Seraphina flew down to the village. The villagers were terrified at first, but as Seraphina began to sing, their fear turned into awe. Her voice echoed through the village, captivating everyone who heard it. The villagers realized that Seraphina was not a monster, but a creature of beauty and grace.

As her song came to an end, the villagers erupted into applause. They thanked Seraphina for sharing her gift and promised to never judge a book by its cover again. Seraphina was overjoyed. She had finally found acceptance.

Then, having finished singing her song, the dragon curtsied gracefully, then turned and flew away towards the setting sun.`