1 (edited by tomH 2024-03-25 17:54:15)

Topic: copy all project files to thumbdrive

I have to live in another state for the next few months and still access my MoviePlus work which is currently on a PC onto a laptop. I know I can move the MvP files but is there any way to copy all the project media so I don't get the dreaded message "can't locate xyz.mp4"? I know I can do it remotely but those programs shrink the screen terribly and is my last option.

thanks, tomH

Re: copy all project files to thumbdrive

Tom - sorry I don't understand your last sentence.

Can you not copy the project material to a thumb drive using the same folder structure as on your pc hard drive.  Then when MVP cannot locate a file you tell it where it is and MVP automatically finds the rest?  You then need to save the project otherwise it will ask again next time the project is opened.

If for some reason it doesn't work with a thumb drive use an external hard drive.  They are pocket size nowadays.  I have no problems opening old projects using source material on an external drive.

ericlnz wrote:

Tom - sorry I don't understand your last sentence.

I imagine that Tom is thinking of remote connection software such as TeamViewer.

ericlnz wrote:

Can you not copy the project material to a thumb drive using the same folder structure as on your pc hard drive.  Then when MVP cannot locate a file you tell it where it is and MVP automatically finds the rest?  You then need to save the project otherwise it will ask again next time the project is opened.

Easy if you’ve kept your project media neatly together in one place, not so easy if everything is scattered across multiple locations!

ericlnz wrote:

If for some reason it doesn't work with a thumb drive use an external hard drive.  They are pocket size nowadays.  I have no problems opening old projects using source material on an external drive.

I wouldn’t expect a thumb drive not to work for this if an external hard drive works OK.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Thanks, Eric. Alfred is correct on both counts: project media files are everywhere and I'm using AnyDesk remote software. I think I'll have to keep the finished projects as MP4 and then cut/paste the existing video as needed with new material as I do weekly edits. That way I will have the needed clips until they're not needed.