1 (edited by jackneve 2022-11-14 17:26:43)

Topic: Five mysteries of the universe, BBC video

Another, short (6min) video about the universe. Could you go back in time  through a white hole, for example? Or go to another of the possible universes if there is a multiverse?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/five … al-society

2 (edited by pberk 2022-11-14 19:22:09)

Re: Five mysteries of the universe, BBC video

jackneve wrote:

Another, short (6min) video about the universe. Could you go back in time  through a white hole, for example? Or go to another of the possible universes if there is a multiverse?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/ideas/videos/five … al-society

I can accept that our Universe is much larger than what we can see -- the so called "observable universe" -- but I don't accept multiple universes that our completely cutoff from each other but somehow exist.  What ever does exists can be thought of as part of an all encompassing whole --hence one Universe.   

It may be the case that very distance parts of our Universe have different laws of physics.  We can't tell.  The distances and the speed of light are the problem.  Our ability to observe are own Universe is limited.  We are stuck within those limits.  So, why talk about Multiverses that we cannot hope to ever discover?   On the the other hand, quantum entanglement may have the answer to those limits. 

But I'll settle for an answer to dark matter or dark energy first.

I remember years ago seeing something, quite possibly on television, but maybe in a magazine, where someone said, or wrote, that as homeopathy uses such extreme dilutions, if homeopathy works then that must mean it works by some mechanism of which we presently (that is, at the then present time) know nothing.

Now there is quantum entanglement being discussed.

And it made me wonder.

I remember long ago reading a science fiction story called "Not in the literature".

I had a quick look on the web. I have not found it. I don't remember who is the author.

William

William wrote:

I remember years ago seeing something, quite possibly on television, but maybe in a magazine, where someone said, or wrote, that as homeopathy uses such extreme dilutions, if homeopathy works then that must mean it works by some mechanism of which we presently (that is, at the then present time) know nothing.

Now there is quantum entanglement being discussed.

And it made me wonder.

I remember long ago reading a science fiction story called "Not in the literature".

I had a quick look on the web. I have not found it. I don't remember who is the author.

William

Unlike entanglement, homeopathy is not generally accepted within the science community.  The Similia Principle (like cures like) has little foundation in science.  The extreme dilution you mention may give rise to the placebo effect.  Frankly, I put it all on a par with Astrology.   

Entanglement is not understood but has been repeatedly proven to exist in carefully controlled experiments.  It is truly a deep mystery as it appears to able to violate the speed of light -- or does it?

I saw something about entanglement and one article, just a general thing, seemed to me to have a bit of an Emperor's New Clothes thing about it. Believe or at least go along with, stupidity or be regarded as stupid oneself.

But some time later I saw another article and it seemed ssensible in that the two things, to be or seem to be entangled had at some previous time needed to to be together.

So I remembered four things from ordinary life that seemed the same.

The half-a-sixpence thing, where a man who has to go, perhaps to war, or whatever, cuts a coin in half and keeps one half and gives the other half to his girlfriend.

Someone who had a degree from Cambridge told me that his certificate was ripped across the lower edge and he speculated that somewhere in the university was a book with the lower ends of degree certificates in it with the names of the people to whom the degree had been awarded, so that the authenticity or otherwise of a purported certificate could be determined by attemping matching the torn edge of the purported certificate with the retained lower part.

Apparently in olden times in Italy if a woman gave her baby to an orphanage because she was unable to look after the child properly, she could tear a piece of cloth in two and put one half with the child and keep the pther half. Thus the mother could reclaim the child at a later date if her circumstances improved.

I read somewhere that in olden times, possibly in England, but I am not sure, the terms of a loan or perhaps a mortgage were recorded on a plank of wood by means of holes and marks and then the plank was cut down the middle and each of the two people retained one half, thereby a protection as to what had been agreed.

So is quantum entaglement something like that, information retained in two pieces that were once together?

Placebo is interesting. I read somewhere of a trial where people were given placebos and some got better.

Apparently, placebos have in some cases been known to work even when the patient knows that the tablet has no medicine in it.

That sounds peculiar, but I am wondering if the routine of having something to do, like take one at 10 am and take one at 6 pm, helps give a structure to the patient's day so that the patient is not just at home alone all day, but has tablets to take, so maybe makes a meal to have with it, rather that letting his or her regular eating pattern drift.

I remember reading of a mental hospital where they gave patients electrical shock treatment and patients got better. One day a new docor, who had previously worked elsewhere using the same treatment, and pointed out that the equipment was broken and not in fact giving any electrical shock at all. So the question arose as to why the patients had been getting better. It was concluded that instead of normally feeling isolated and lonely, in the time before, at, and after the procedure, the patient was the centre of attention from the doctors and nurses and that had a positive effect on the patient.

Astrology is interesting as some parts of it may be encoding observed knowledge. For example, one's star sign. Well, that is indicative of which nine months one was in gestation, and a country far from the equator has ambient temperatures and light intensity that vary greatly during those months, and chemical reactions often depend upon temperature. So does which nine months gestation takes place affect the brain?

I read once of a French study where they used a French book of a similar nature to Who's Who, and compared day and month of birth of people at the top of whatever they did, like musician, artist, soldier, whatever, using a null hypothesis that birth date should not be significant as to profession. But apparently the null hypothesis was disproved.

However, the result could be skewed by the cohorting of children into school years.

For example, as children playing football in a year-group, boys born in September may be 10% or more, more developed than boys born in August as they are almost a year older.

I might have read somewhere that there is a tendency for professional footballers to have been born sometime within September to December.

Another thing about Astrology. If one looks at the sky and sees a star, that means that the light from that star is causing a sensation in one's brain. Do we know that as well as what we call vision that it is not causing other effects as well?

William

William:

I read somewhere that in olden times, possibly in England, but I am not sure, the terms of a loan or perhaps a mortgage were recorded on a plank of wood by means of holes and marks and then the plank was cut down the middle and each of the two people retained one half, thereby a protection as to what had been agreed.

These were called Tally Sticks, and hence the term tally for agreement between two quantities.

Merriam Webster Dictionary gives:

Middle English talye, from Anglo-French talie, taille, in part from tailler to cut, measure, count; in part from Medieval Latin tallia, alteration of Latin talea plant cutting, thin piece of wood

Look at:
https://www.parliament.uk/about/living- … llysticks/

Tally sticks were a form of receipt for government income which originated in the middle ages. Tallies were regularly destroyed over the centuries by the Exchequer which had offices in the Palace of Westminster, but following its abolition in 1826, a large quantity of tallies - some two cartloads - were left behind. It was the decision by the Palace's Clerk of Works to burn them in the furnaces rather than in an open-air bonfire or to give them away as firewood, that led to the fateful fire of 16 October 1834.

William:

Someone who had a degree from Cambridge told me that his certificate was ripped across the lower edge and he speculated that somewhere in the university was a book with the lower ends of degree certificates in it with the names of the people to whom the degree had been awarded, so that the authenticity or otherwise of a purported certificate could be determined by attemping matching the torn edge of the purported certificate with the retained lower part.

When you did your research for your wide ranging exposition, did you perchance come across this (quite hard to direct the search engine!):

https://www.quora.com/What-does-a-Unive … ke?share=1

Depends on when you graduated. Cambridge did not start issuing degree certificates until the 1970’s, so older graduates have no certificate at all. One simply took a gentleman “at his word”!

Certificates issued in the 1980’s and mid-1990’s were printed on paper with black text.
Certificates with colour versions of the university crest were not issued until the late 1990’s

Unlike American university graduation certificates (most notably, Harvard, who boast that their certificate is more secure than a bank note), none of the certificates issued have any security features which would allow one to verify whether or not the certificate is genuine. In fact, it is extremely easy to forge a Cambridge University degree certificate on a laser printer.

Verification of whether someone truly has a Cambridge University degree is through verification with the university registry (Degree certificates and transcripts). The certificate is really irrelevant and is seen by the university as an “American” innovation, but the university recognises that many employers nowadays may request to see a degree certificate when considering job applications. Students who graduated from a time before Cambridge started to issue certificates, are able to request one from the university registry.

Admittedly, this does not address the exact point about tearing the certificate, but I think it is covered implicitly.

BTW, are you aware that the term Poll as applied to voting refers to the exact opposite of identity confirming tearing. Two-part documents would be cut, razored if you like, to prevent cross reference and identification. Having your hair cut to a standard length could also be referred to as polled, and the same term is used as a synonym of pollarded  referring to the cutting back of certain kinds of tree.

I was told about ripped certificates in the early 1970s by a then work colleague who arrived around the early 1970s who was a Cambridge graduate, though whether he had started straight after university or had worked elsewhere after university I do not know.

William

William wrote:

But some time later I saw another article and it seemed ssensible in that the two things, to be or seem to be entangled had at some previous time needed to to be together.

I’m afraid I can’t quite make sense of this, William. Could you … er … disentangle it for me, please?

William wrote:

The half-a-sixpence thing, where a man who has to go, perhaps to war, or whatever, cuts a coin in half and keeps one half and gives the other half to his girlfriend.

I’m immediately reminded of ‘Half A Sixpence’, the musical adaptation of H.G. Wells’ novel ‘Kipps’.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Alfred wrote:
William wrote:

I’m afraid I can’t quite make sense of this, William. Could you … er … disentangle it for me, please?

I don't know very much at all about quantum physics, just a bit from over fifty years ago.

But, well, all the stuff about items purportedly communicating across the universe with each other at faster than the speed of light, seems to not take into account the fact that they were once both together and may both have some shared memory gained together.

So say the man with half of the sixpence is at Land's End and he tells another man that the woman who has the other half of the sixpence is at John O'Groats and that she has blue eyes.

So the second man promptly travels by the fastest means available to John O'Groats and immediately upon arrival finds the woman and notes that she has blue eyes.

So, the solution is that at one time the man and the woman were together and he observed the colour of her eyes and has remembered that information, not that he was able from Land's End to determine the colour of the woman's eyes by some fantastic instant observation over that great distance away from her when he was talking to the second man.

William

Sort of "Tanglewood Tales", eh?

So is quantum entaglement something like that, information retained in two pieces that were once together?

Not exactly.  On a Quantum scale (sub atomic -- inside the atom), particles such as electrons can become entangled when they are created near each other and they overlap and share the same properties.  The strange thing is that no matter how far apart the entangled particles become, we can tell things about each of them by examining just one of them.  So, for example, if they are entangled electrons, they both have the property of spin.  But we don’t know which way they are spinning, clockwise or counter clockwise unless we look (measure).   When we look, if we find that one particle is spinning clockwise, we know that the other (if measured) is spinning the opposite, counter-clockwise.  How does that other particle know which way to spin – and how does it know it INSTANTLY no matter the distance?

It's hard to understand.  I believe, no one fully understands how this happens but there have been numerous experiments that seem to prove it is so.  One of these just won the Nobel Prize for Physics.  This little 5 min video might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1GCnycbMeA

Thank you for posting the video.

It is a pity that such discussions use the example of cruelty to a sentient creature.

They could quite easily use a glass vase instead. The glass vase remaining whole or becoming shattered.

William

14 (edited by William 2022-11-18 13:45:45)

Not the same thing, but I saw this and thought it more appropriate to add it here rather than start a new thread.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment … r-AA14gr62

Compare and contrast with quantum entanglement. Maybe a silly suggestion to do such a compare and contrast, but is there any similarity at all?

Such possibility is why I always include my middle initials on formal output. So three initials and surname. Alas, so many people try to edit my name by missing out the third initial, even if replying to a letter from me or a form that I have filled in correctly.

There was a public review about formatting names.

https://www.unicode.org/review/pri434/

I replied.

https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-15263

I later sent some other notes on the topic. I have seen them listed on a previous occasion.

William

I have found them.

https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/CLDR-13722

Three posts, one from me just adminstrative.

William

16 (edited by pberk 2022-11-18 18:37:07)

William wrote:

... but is there any similarity at all?

William

Yes and No.  It's hard for me to say since I don't understand enough.  But --- it seems to me the hotel system is in a state of superposition in that there is a 50% chance that the same name guests are the same person, and a 50% chance they are different people.  It is impossible to know, until one of them is observed. 

I think Entanglement is something different since both guests would be part of the same system but opposites.  SO if one entangled guest were to check in and be given an odd numbered room, the other would instantly be known to be checking in and given an even numbered room.   Something like that.

The whole thing is mind bending.

I am reminded of an episode of Fawlty Towers where two people are each Doctor Somename and are in fact two doctors who are married to each other and Basil Fawlty gets into a muddle about it.

I suppose that the scriptwriters could have got more from that as one could have been a medical doctor and the other, say, a linguist. smile

Basil could have then asked one of them to look at his foot and be advised to speak to the other one and Basil get indignant about whether it was a demarcation issue and would it be the first doctor if he had asked about his head.

William

Well, Jack, I suppose that the BBC could have met them both at a railway station or stations and delivered them to the hotel in the same car so that they arrived together.

But the hotel only has one room so one man is taken to a different hotel.

Then the next morning a letter addressed to someone of that name arrives at the first hotel.

William