Topic: Faux model railway rolling stock on a budget

Whereas

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/l … er_032.pdf

and whereas

https://viking-virtualprinthouse.co.uk/

and whereas

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/designer/ (though version 1)

I have the idea that I would like to try having some models as in the story.

However, rather than buying a model railway and spending lots of money getting the specially painted wgons and a Pullman coach, and to see if i can do it, I have the idea of producing some artwork on an A4 sheet, getting some prints on 350 gsm (grammes per square metre) paper, which is thin card, and then using scissors and double sided sellotape, make some 3d models, the 2d artwork being for cut-out, fold and stick together activity.

I also want to try to make some locomotives, two shunters and a mainline locomotive.

I have the idea that the sloping front of the locomotives can be produced by using a 3, 4, 5 triangle for the shunters and a 5, 12, 13 triangle for the mainline locomotive.

That is the 3, 4 or 4, 3 and the 12, 5 being horizontal and vertical respectively, so that the length of the sloping front is 5 or 13, so that upon folding it will all fit togeher nicely. The sloping front not going down to the ground.

So I would like to make this artwork and then publish it in the Serif Affinity forum so that there is always the chance that somebody print some, make them up and might fit them on some OO model bits and actually run them.

So I have been trying, thus far without success to find the scale clearances for OO scale model railway rolloing stock. Then I can make the designs to fit and in fact a little lower so that if they were got to run on a model railway the models will still be in the clearance limits even if there are wheels fitted under them.

Can anyone find the scale clearances for OO gauge model railway rolling stock please?

If anyone else fancies trying to produce such models for locomotives, then we could agree a common scale so that all the models could work together.

William

Re: Faux model railway rolling stock on a budget

Yes, the two shunters will have different running numbers, even if they are of the same class.

William

William wrote:

350 gsm (grammes per square metre) paper, which is thin card

Ordinary ‘bond’ paper is roughly 80 gsm, so 160 gsm is what I would classify as thin card. 350 gsm is quite thick.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Well, it depends.

Apparently some 350 gsm paper is thicker than other.

For example, I have had greetings cards from Papier at 350 gsm and the paper/card is thicker than A3 prints on 350 gsm paper/card from Viking Virtual Print House.

https://action-press.co.uk/blog/paper-t … explained/

William

William wrote:

Apparently some 350 gsm paper is thicker than other.

It’s a given that more heavily compressed paper is denser and thinner, but for a given paper type 350 gsm paper will be almost twice as thick as 180 gsm paper. Cartridge paper, for example, is thick but very flexible.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

I am thinking that using 300 dots per 8inch, 600 pixels for maximum height and 400 pixels for maximum width should probably be alright, would be covenient to use and would mean that most model designs could fit onto an A4 size sheet of card.

OO scale being 4 milllimetres to the foot.

William

At 300 ppi, 600 pixels would be only two inches, so why do you say “most model designs could fit” instead of “all model designs would fit” on an A4 sheet?

― Hermann Hesse

The printed sheet of paper needs to include the front end the rear end as well as the length of the vehicle, preferably so that when cut out it is all in one piece.

So for some models that could possibly not all fit on a sheet of size A4.

The width of the A4 sheet needs to include two heights, a width between them, a half-width at each side to fold underneath and sticking tabs, so that is fine.

The box cars displaying the localizable sentences, the shunters and probably the main line locomotive should all fit on the A4 sheet.

But something like a sort-of Pullman-like coach with a name on the side might not.

So a shortened version to fit on an A4 sheet could be produced and an A3 full length version.

If I can get the other computer to start alright then I hope to try a test locomotive to get started, which could perhaps be the design for one or both of the shunters.

You are welcome to have a go too if you want to do so.

You are, of course, welcome to design such a model to your own size specification, but if designs from you, me and anybody else who wants to have a go are all to the same height and width specifications, then that would be good.

I am assuming that the sides go almost down to ground level and that therefore the wheels are imagined as being hidden from view.

Thought experiment.

One smartphone.

One vlogging kit.

Place the train in the view of the smartphone camera.

Place the scenery (half a dozen sheets of A3 sellotaped together) behind.

Start recording video.

Move scenery in reverse direction of train slowly at first, then increasing speed then slowing down to a stop.

Stop recording video.

Scenery effect like a little after the start of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqMGVuxgpkQ

Except the train is to appear as moving to the left.

smile

William

sellotape

Beware of using actual brand names if you intend them to be read as generic. If you mean double sided adhesive tape, then say that. Make it clear what you mean  initially, and later you could refer to it just as tape.

I am sure there would be no repercussions if you did use an actual brand, but I remember an engineer who wrote an article where he said he "meggered" some part of a circuit. Those cognisant with the application will realise he meant use a Megger type equipment (the standard method) to measure insulation resistance. However, the Megger organisation wrote to him demanding he remove the reference and not do it again. Megger is, was, their trademark - zealously guarded.

Yes, thank you.

William