Topic: Why is a curriculum vitae required?

Some time ago, this year, in a group of The Institute of Physics, there was announced a competition for an award purported to be for the best PhD thesis in physics this year.

I looked at the rules and I wrote to the organizers asking why, as the competition is for, in their opinion, the best PhD in Physics thesis this year, why the rules required an applicant for the prize to include a curriculum vitae and details of where and when the candidate obtained his or her first degree and the class of degree, as the competition was for the best PhD in Physics, not for the best combination of PhD thesis, curriculum vitae and consideration of where the candidate got his or her first degree and its class.

For the avoidance of doubt, there was no possibility of me, or anyone connected to me, being a candidate.

I received a reply that my comments would be put to the committee and would be taken into account when considering the rules for next year's competition.

Just wondering, how do people here feel about this? Should one take into account everything about the candidate, or, if the award is for the best PhD thesis in Physics should it be only on the thesis and nothing else?

William

Re: Why is a curriculum vitae required?

I’m with you on this one, William. If the award purports to be for the best PhD thesis, any and all background information seems irrelevant.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Perhaps the authorities wish to publish a short biography of the winner along with the paper.

On a side issue some events have in the rules that the winner has to agree to their photograph being published.

Why? If the competition is about what the person has produced, whether science, poetry, or whatever, why a photograph?

William

William wrote:

On a side issue some events have in the rules that the winner has to agree to their photograph being published.

Why? If the competition is about what the person has produced, whether science, poetry, or whatever, why a photograph?

William

Photo's add to the written piece. A magazine or newspaper without images would be boring as would just reading the script of a television program.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

PUBLICITY!!!