1 (edited by PatSteinDesign 2022-06-25 09:35:41)

Topic: FTP Issues with WebPlus X7

My computer and backup computer's hard drives crashed within weeks of one another and although I was able to retrieve much data, all of my *.wpp files are gone. Additionally, I had WebPlus versions X5, X6, X7 and X8 that I purchased (the last two through downloads direct from serif several years ago) and the former two were direct purchases through serif with Disks and Manuals included. I couldn't locate my product info for X8,  so I loaded X7 onto my new PC, because I had the product code handy.

I've built about 10 websites with the software (though many years ago), and really love the ease of use and customization. Two of my websites were last updated in 2017 and are in need of an update, but that's a topic for another day (after I fix this problem).

I know its been awhile since I uploaded files, but for some reason I am unable to get the direct FTP to work properly with my hosting provider (Register). I never had any issues with publishing to web from the Serif side and I have checked my connections and there are no problems there - its just in the actual file upload where it stalls.

So instead I am publishing to a file and then I tried uploading through FileManager direct from the Register.com site using those files. I also tried FileZilla Client and though I can get the files uploaded manually either way, it is quite time consuming and I am missing key formatting data - some of my backgrounds are missing, the pages look different and none of the photos are displaying in my browser.

I am including uploading the script and image files individually as well, but I'm at a loss for figuring out what I'm doing wrong. I already went through and converted all the text to table format (1line/1row) as it seems that I can get it to look cleaner that way and am open to suggestions to get the rest of the site to look good enough to make live.

I need to get this site up and running since I'm donating the website for my high school reunion coming up (I built the sites for former reunions). I still have pages and data to add, but if I can get this started, we can start selling our tickets to the event.

Attached is a PDF copy of the exported site and I can include the *.wpp files if anyone wants to see if there's a way to correct some of the issues.

Post's attachments

SHS1982reunion.pdf 961.77 kb, 11 downloads since 2022-06-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: FTP Issues with WebPlus X7

Hi Pat,
I have the same trouble with one of my website hosts, the main trouble is that I can't contact them in any meaningful way. I think the main reason for your hassle is that Register.com is based in the US just like my Hostinger account. I can't contact them directly.
The best advice I can offer is to change your website host.
The other Host I use is great, Fasthosts. Details of the FTP requirements are available on their site once you register with them. They cost me about £6 a month and I can easily use FileZilla to upload my webplus website and it never gives me any hassle. Furthermore I can always phone them if I have any trouble.
The only problem I have with them is the email addresses they provide as part of the deal. The tend to use Livemail Servers for this and they are a problem. You can always use gmail for your emails as I do.
Go to my website and see what is possible with them.
www.millrind.co.uk
best wishes
John Kay

Hi Pat, I am also having issues with WPX8 and my hosting provider (who says the problem is ME) I cave published to a folder and dragged the files with FileZilla. Now I need to use SSL on that site and really need to publish from WPX8. Did you get any further with your issues?

Thanks a million
G

In the Webplus FTP Account details have you tried one at a time or in combination:

1. Check the SFTP box above Account Name
2. Check/uncheck Passive mode box

At the bottom of the Account details you have Advanced settings:
3. Check the encrypt connection box, SSL 3.0 and SSL implied. Note that both TLS1.0 and SSL3.0 are both deprecated but may be worth trying.

Joe

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.