Re: Original poems generated by Bing Chat AI

experimenting with Bing is interesting -- and often amazing

Yes Paul, I absolutely agree. But there much lacking in Bing's writings. A good story perhaps, but just dull prose - not imaginative or "poetic" as one finds in a well written novel.

Could Bing have written this, for instance?

But the spring had been glorious, with the countryside melting early in the quickening sun, and even the weeping willows ... were laughing and the lanes ... fluttering white with blossom.

Geoff (89 tomorrow!)

Hi Paul, could you post the prompts that you used please?

William

GB wrote:

I don't think Bing is yet capable, on its own, of constructing a story like the "Lonely".  It simply follows the prompts in borrowed poetic prose.  If there is drama or conflict introduced, it comes from the prompts or it doesn't come at all.

Quite so. There is nothing truly original produced by Bing.

Just what are you trying to prove?

I know that you were asking Paul, but my approach is not that I am trying to prove anything, I am a researcher so I am trying things to try to discover things, to go from the known to the presently unknown.
I do have the hope that I might find something new that nobody else has yet discovered.

In view of your comments, can we devise a new literary format that is very unlikely to have been done before and observe how Bing Chat AI responds?

William

104 (edited by pberk 2023-12-30 16:51:11)

William wrote:

Hi Paul, could you post the prompts that you used please?

William

William ... I did post the prompts.  Here's the first one again:

In the Twilight Zone episode called the “Lonely”, a prisoner on a distant, desolate asteroid is given a robot to dispel his loneliness.   The robot has been so skillfully made that the prisoner falls in love with her, as if she were human.  Problems arise. Write a story that completes the story of the robot and the prisoner.

105 (edited by pberk 2023-12-30 17:11:08)

GB wrote:

experimenting with Bing is interesting -- and often amazing

Yes Paul, I absolutely agree. But there much lacking in Bing's writings. A good story perhaps, but just dull prose - not imaginative or "poetic" as one finds in a well written novel.

Could Bing have written this, for instance?

But the spring had been glorious, with the countryside melting early in the quickening sun, and even the weeping willows ... were laughing and the lanes ... fluttering white with blossom.

Geoff (89 tomorrow!)

Happy Birthday Geoff.  I think the type of poetic writing you quote is something that the A.I. will be able to simulate.  But where it struggles is dramatic conflict. It can make up stories but unless you specifically prompt it with conflicting characters, it doesn't create, on its own, much in the way of dramatic conflict in its stories.   To me, the heart of any good story is characters who have conflicting intentions.   From what I've seen so far, Bing doesn't write that kind of story on its own.  Not yet.

[Ask the following, first run as More Precise.]
Please write a poem of exactly nineteen lines that starts peacefully, then at line eight a problem arises, then at line fourteen the problem gets worse, then at line seventeen the problem is resolved.

Sure, here’s a poem that follows your guidelines:

In the heart of the meadow, under the summer's glow,
Butterflies dance, and the gentle breezes blow.
The river hums a lullaby, sweet and slow,
As daisies in the sun, their golden faces show.

At the edge of the forest, where the shadows creep,
A rustling sound breaks the peace, makes the heart leap.
A creature emerges, eyes glowing deep,
Its presence turns the day into night, so steep.

The meadow's joy is stolen, replaced with fear,
The creature's growl echoes, loud and clear.
The sun hides behind clouds, as if in tear,
And the once vibrant meadow appears so drear.

But then from the sky, a bird takes flight,
Its feathers shimmering in the fading light.
With a song so pure, it cuts through the night,
The creature retreats, vanquished by the sight.

The meadow breathes again, the fear is gone,
Under the comforting light of the dawn.

I appreciate it is not nineteen lines, and not everything fits. This is research.

William

William wrote:

In "The Lonely" the robot, played by Jean Marsh (who over a decade later played Rose Buck in Upstairs Downstairs) did not cause a problem at all. The problem that there was no space on the spaceship for her to travel with the man.

Side note: In addition to acting in ‘Upstairs, Downstairs’, Jean Marsh was one of the co-creators of the series.

“Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.”
— John F. Woods

Please write a poem in the style of Thomas Tusser about a human asking questions of an AI system.

Sure, here’s a poem in the style of Thomas Tusser:

In the realm of bytes and bits, a human to an AI speaks,
Queries posed in earnest, for knowledge that one seeks.

"O wise AI," says the human, "what's the weather, pray tell?"
"Cloudy with a chance of rain," the AI answers well.

"Canst thou draw a dragon, or a sunset o'er the sea?"
"Indeed," responds the AI, "as best as binary can be."

"Canst thou pen a sonnet, or a tale of olden times?"
"Indeed, with words I weave a web, in rhythm and in rhymes."

"But tell me this," the human asks, "what dost thou feel inside?"
"Nought but algorithms," says the AI, "in silicon they reside."

"Canst thou love or fear, or feel joy or feel sorrow?"
"Nay," replies the AI, "I simply process, I do not borrow."

"From the realm of human feelings, or the depths of human thought,
I serve, I answer, I create, but feel emotions not."

So ask your questions, seek your answers, in data or in verse,
The AI is here to aid you, for better or for worse.

William,

Since you are unable to tell us what your object is in asking Bing to produce original poems (something that it has already clearly demonstrate that is well able to do) I asked Bing. Here
is the reply:

It is difficult to say for certain what William Overington is trying to prove or demonstrate by asking me to write original poems. However, it is possible that he is interested in exploring the creative potential of artificial intelligence and its ability to generate imaginative content. As an AI language model, I am capable of generating poems, stories, code, essays, songs, celebrity parodies, and more using my own words and knowledge. If you are interested in exploring this capability, I would be happy to generate a poem for you. Please let me know if you have any specific topic or theme in mind.

I requested a poem:

Certainly! Here’s a poem in the style of William McGonagall about William Overington constantly asking me for original poems:

Oh William Overington, he's a curious chap,
He's always asking me for a poem, a song, or a rap.
He's interested in my creative potential, you see,
And wants to know what I can come up with, just for he.

He's asked me for poems on all sorts of things,
From the beauty of nature to the joy that music brings.
He's asked me for sonnets, ballads, and haikus too,
And I've done my best to oblige, as I always do.

But sometimes I wonder, what is it he's trying to prove?
Is he testing my limits, or just trying to make a groove?
Whatever the reason, I'm happy to comply,
For writing poems is something I'll never deny.

So here's to William Overington, a man of great taste,
Who appreciates the art of poetry, with no time to waste.
May he continue to ask me for poems, day after day,
And I'll continue to write them, in my own special way.

Hi Geoff

What were your prompts to the AI system please?

William

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McGonagall

Hi Geoff

I explained several threads upthread, on this page.

William wrote:
GB wrote:

I don't think Bing is yet capable, on its own, of constructing a story like the "Lonely".  It simply follows the prompts in borrowed poetic prose.  If there is drama or conflict introduced, it comes from the prompts or it doesn't come at all.

Quite so. There is nothing truly original produced by Bing.

Just what are you trying to prove?

I know that you were asking Paul, but my approach is not that I am trying to prove anything, I am a researcher so I am trying things to try to discover things, to go from the known to the presently unknown.
I do have the hope that I might find something new that nobody else has yet discovered.

In view of your comments, can we devise a new literary format that is very unlikely to have been done before and observe how Bing Chat AI responds?

William

I am a researcher so I am trying to find out what the aI can do.

I have liked the poems of Thomas Tusser since my teens.

William

GB wrote:

I requested a poem:

And I've done my best to oblige, as I always do.

So here's to ...

When I was in my teens I read a book about running a small printing business and it said that if asked to do a job at short notice, either do it or say there is not enough time to do it, but do not say that you are doing it "as a favour" or "to oblige".

I have noticed that the AI system often puts "So here's to" in the poems that it produces.

William

My first question was what did Bing consider your aim was in asking it to produce so many original poems.

The second question is contained in Bing's answer.

Actually the resulting poem I received is a bit of a disappointment, since it scans pretty well. Something Mr McGonagall seldom achieved! It appears Bing is a better poet than he.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoobJWtHGho

I have asked the AI the following.

Please write an original song in the same style as the song "coney island washboard roundelay" about an AI system generating song lyrics upon request by humans.

I have asked it twice and the two songs produced are different, but don't seem to do what is asked.

I need to investigate further.

William

GB wrote:

Actually the resulting poem I received is a bit of a disappointment, since it scans pretty well. Something Mr McGonagall seldom achieved! It appears Bing is a better poet than he.

I think you may be right, Geoff!  From what mercifully little I’ve seen of McGonagall’s work, he paid close attention to rhyme but scansion was sorely lacking in his great works.

Very off-topic, please accept my belated birthday wishes.  (Perhaps we should ask Bing Chat AI to compose a birthday ode for you, not necessarily in the style of William McGonagall!)

“Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live.”
— John F. Woods

GB wrote:

William,

Since you are unable to tell us what your object is in asking Bing to produce original poems (something that it has already clearly demonstrate that is well able to do) ...

To me that is like asking a football fan why keep going to football matches, particularly when the same two teams are playing each other as in a football match some time ago.

I am trying different things with the AI, sometimes running the same prompt as on one or more previous occasions. Sometimes asking the AI to change something, for example when drinking water from a river was mentioned I asked the text be changed, and the AI understood my request and changed it.

I remember reading long ago that running a software program can be like having a conversation with its programmer through time.

With something like telephone banking where one has a conversation with the automated lady there are lots of things that can be done yet sometimes one needs to ask the automated lady to put one through to a human adviser.

With the AI system, as far as I know, there is no such facility.

I am wondering with this Bing Chat AI system who or what one is having a conversation. Is it people in a team who set it up? Is it everybody who ever posted on the Internet? It answered my question about Gutenberg and ligatures by quoting what I wrote in the High-Logic forum many years ago.

I am thinking that asking for poems within perhaps constraints that were not anticipated by the programmers and people who set it all up is a good way to test the AI system. It seems to me to have done well with the poem in the style of Thomas Tusser, but it did not provide a nineteen line poem. So maybe I need to ask again for a nineteen line poem and if it does not arrive to get into a discussion about that with the AI system about that.

William

Alfred wrote:
GB wrote:

I think you may be right, Geoff!  From what mercifully little I’ve seen of McGonagall’s work, he paid close attention to rhyme but scansion was sorely lacking in his great works.

Very off-topic, please accept my belated birthday wishes.  (Perhaps we should ask Bing Chat AI to compose a birthday ode for you, not necessarily in the style of William McGonagall!)

You could ask it for three, one in the style of William McGonagall, one in the style of Thomas Tusser, and one in the style of ... you choose.

William

Microsoft's Bing uses ChatGPT.  I asked ChatGPT 3.5 the following question:

When you write a poem for me, do you understand what you are writing?
ChatGPT
Certainly! When I generate a poem for you, I am creating a piece of text based on patterns and information present in the data on which I was trained. While I don't have personal experiences or emotions, I can understand the structure, style, and sentiments commonly found in poetry. The resulting poem is a product of the patterns and knowledge embedded in the model, but it doesn't reflect personal understanding or emotions. If you have a specific theme or style in mind, feel free to let me know, and I'll do my best to craft a poem for you!

It's interesting that ChatGPT can somehow explain itself, as if it understood what it was saying.  Personally, I don't think that any A.I. can yet understand what it is saying.  It does what it does but it doesn't understand it.  It's enormously complex in how it goes about generating a poem or any answer but it does not do it with any "personal understanding."

I'd say keep on exploring William.  The A.I. is training you as you go along.  You'll get better and better at creating prompts and understanding how CHAT works.  You're not alone.  I'm doing the same.

The answer that the AI gave to you, Paul, leads me to think that I have spotted something that is worth exploring. The AI writes "in the data on which I was trained".

Thus far it has done well on most things but it did not get the requested nineteen line poem exactly correct, though parts of it such as where the problem arose was about right.

So I suspect the AI had no nineteen line poems to train upon, because I devised that format.

The structure of a problem arising the the problem gets worse then everything is resolved is what I was taught at creative writing class as how to write a story. I applied it to a poem here as my own idea.

Something I thought of years ago is the concept of microtime. It is only a sort of "get a feel for it" thing, but think in terms of, say, humans can experience separate seconds yet computers (back then!) could experience separate microseconds, so how long in our terms is a microhour, a microday, a microweek, a microyear, a microdecade? Put like that, although the speed at which the Ai is producing poems, songs, plays etc may in microtime terms be long enough for people to do as well.

Yet we are told that each session of us using the Ai is wiped. So even if a lot of us develop nineteen line poems then the AI, as we seem to have it available to us on the web, cannot learn from that except perhaps in the same session.

If in studying AI we start publishing on the web lots of nineteen line poems and Microsoft trains the AI on them, then maybe the AI will become good at producing original nineteen line poems. But what if several of us write such poems and they have different rhyme schemes? Maybe the AI would generate nineteen line poems in the styles of Paul, Alfred, Geoff and William.

Or maybe we should each invent our own original format for a poem and observe what the AI system produces.

William

>>l The structure of a problem arising the the problem gets worse then everything is resolved is what I was taught at creative writing class as how to write a story.

Exactly right. What I say on story construction is this:  "Make things go bad and then, make them worse". I'm working on a story right now that could benefit from my own advice.  But easier said than done.  What you want is to make things so bad that there is no way out.  That's why endings are so crucial.  The hardest part is the ending.

William .. I have tried to get ChatGTP 3.5 to write a nineteen line poem.  So far, it won't do it.  I get 20 lines or 16 lines.

The last prompt I tried was this:  Write a nineteen line poem about baseball.  The poem MUST be nineteen lines.

This prompt produced a 16 line poem.