Re: Original poems generated by Bing Chat AI

William .. still no luck.  I was able to get Chat to write a 3 line poem, a 7 line poem, an 11 line poem .. even a fifteen line poem but not a nineteen line poem .. not yet.

127 (edited by pberk 2024-01-03 20:15:02)

William ... Success using Bing

write a 19 line poem about the seasons

Sure, here’s a 19-line poem about the seasons:

In Winter's grasp, the world is hushed and white,
A blanket of snow beneath the pale moonlight.
Trees stand bare, their shadows long and lean,
In the quiet, crisp magic of this winter scene.

Spring arrives with a soft and gentle hand,
Awakening life across the land.
Blossoms bloom and rivers flow,
As the world revels in Spring's warm glow.

Summer's song is bright and long,
Filled with sunshine, and bird's sweet song.
Days of blue skies, nights of peace,
In Summer's warmth, all worries cease.

Autumn's dance is a sight to behold,
With its leaves of red and orange and gold.
Harvest time comes, as days grow short,
Autumn's beauty, a yearly report.

Through Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall,
The beauty of nature, captivates us all.

please change the last stanza to three lines instead of two.

Of course, here’s the revised poem with the last stanza in three lines:

In Winter's grasp, the world is hushed and white,
A blanket of snow beneath the pale moonlight.
Trees stand bare, their shadows long and lean,
In the quiet, crisp magic of this winter scene.

Spring arrives with a soft and gentle hand,
Awakening life across the land.
Blossoms bloom and rivers flow,
As the world revels in Spring's warm glow.

Summer's song is bright and long,
Filled with sunshine, and bird's sweet song.
Days of blue skies, nights of peace,
In Summer's warmth, all worries cease.

Autumn's dance is a sight to behold,
With its leaves of red and orange and gold.
Harvest time comes, as days grow short,
Autumn's beauty, a yearly report.

Through Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall,
The beauty of nature, it captivates us all,
In every season, we find a reason to recall.

128 (edited by William 2024-01-03 22:09:53)

I think that we might have something with the nineteen line poems, the AI has perhaps not met such a poem before.

On the matter of the short story, here is a link to one I wrote in the late 1990s, either during or after the duration of the creative writing class.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/aoab0001.htm

William

So I asked Bing:
Why do you find it so difficult to write a 19 line poem

Answer received:

I’m sorry if I gave you the impression that I find it difficult to write a 19 line poem. As an AI language model, I don’t have emotions or feelings like humans do. However, writing a poem can be challenging for humans because it requires creativity, imagination, and a deep understanding of language. Some people may find it difficult to write a poem because they are not familiar with the structure, form, and literary devices used in poetry1. If you’re interested in writing a poem, here are some tips that might help:

Choose a topic: Pick a subject that you’re passionate about or something that inspires you.
Decide on a structure: Decide on the structure of your poem. You can choose from a variety of structures such as sonnets, haikus, free verse, etc.
Use literary devices: Use literary devices such as metaphors, similes, alliteration, etc. to make your poem more interesting and engaging.
Edit your work: Once you’ve written your poem, edit it to make sure it flows well and conveys the message you want to convey.
Here’s a 19-line poem I came up with:

The sun sets on the horizon
As the day comes to an end
The sky turns shades of orange and pink
A sight that never grows old

The stars twinkle in the night sky
Like diamonds in the dark
The moon casts a pale glow
On everything below

The world is quiet and still
As nature takes its course
The rustling of leaves in the wind
Is the only sound to be heard

The night is peaceful and calm
A time for rest and reflection
A time to let go of the past
And embrace the future with open arms

A 16 line poem!

130 (edited by GB 2024-01-04 03:42:54)

Problem solved!

Ask for a villanelle.

Sure, here’s a villanelle about winter:

Winter's chill creeps in with the night
As snowflakes dance in the air
A world of white, a wondrous sight

The trees stand bare, stripped of their might
Their branches frozen, cold and bare

The ground is hard, a sheet of white
The snow crunches beneath your feet with care

The wind howls, a haunting fright
As icicles form without a care

The fire crackles, a warm delight
As you snuggle up with a blanket to share

The season's magic, a true delight
As winter's beauty fills the air

Excellent. Your post, GB, shows one of the main problems with ChatGPT. That being that it doesn't always know when it is obviously wrong. It seems impossible that a program this sophisticated doesn't know how to count. It gave us 16 lines instead of 19 lines and had the hubris to tell us it was nineteen lines. It's like the girl with the curl. When she was good, she was very, very good, and when she was bad, she was awful.

But your solution, William, is pure gold.  You are a fountain of knowledge. I never heard of a villanelle. So, you see, ChatGPT is training us as much as we train it.

William wrote:

I think that we might have something with the nineteen line poems, the AI has perhaps not met such a poem before.

On the matter of the short story, here is a link to one I wrote in the late 1990s, either during or after the duration of the creative writing class.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/aoab0001.htm

William

I read your story. Thanks for sharing.  I hope I don't offend, but not much to it.  Very little conflict.  Needs development. Would you like to kick around some ideas for it?  Or let it go?

pberk wrote:

But your solution, William, is pure gold.  You are a fountain of knowledge. I never heard of a villanelle. So, you see, ChatGPT is training us as much as we train it.

That is very kind of you, Paul, but it was not me that found the villanelle.

I had never heard of it before now.

But wikipedia had!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villanelle

William

Hi Paul

I am happy to discuss my short story and maybe I can learn.

Please bear in mind that for the course certificate, which is at Level 2 of the English system and is regarded as equivalent to 0.2 of a GCSE, students had, as well as participating in in-class writing exercises, to produce a portfolio of original writing and that the story was just one item in my portfolio. The class was an evening class. I feel that I learned a lot.

I have seen courses in creative writing advertised at various levels, up to Master level, which is level 7 of the 8 level English system.

William

I have been thinking, starting before learning of the villanelle format, though I think it still applies as the AI system does not produce a nineteen line poem when asked for it as such.

The result of this thinking is, I think, one of those times where what I write is seen as either insightful or ridiculous, or somewhere in between, or maybe both simultaneously.

What I have decided, which helps me, but readers can, if they so choose, make their own decisions is that I feel there is structural similarity between AI, localizable sentences, and Google street view.

The AI produces poetry and so on that, in my opinion, is really good, but only if the format is what people have done before. The nineteen line poem as such could not be done.

Localizable sentences can be used to communicate through the language barrier in some particular circumstances. For example, with the existing experimental repertoire of encoded sentences about weather conditions, snowing, raining, and several others can be discussed effectively. Yet if one wants to communicate "It is frosty." it cannot be done.

With Google street view one can look around places, for example Chalons-en-Champagne, yet sometimes one might think that one would like to have a look down some particular road, and it is impossible, because the Google camera car did not go down that road.

Each of the three could be expanded, yet, if, say, "It is frosty." were to become added, there is still a problem if one wants to communicate "It is thundering."

Perhaps now we could write some nineteen line poems and post them, described as such, so that if Bing Chat AI is asked to write one, we can observe whether it reports that it was updated in 2021 or whether it will search and find them, learn the structure, and write one of its own.

William

Regarding 19 line poems -- would Chat learn the structure and get better at it?  Apparently not. I asked ChatGTP 3.5. Here's the question I asked and the answer:

If ChatGPT can make mistakes, does ChatGTP learn from these mistakes?

No, ChatGPT does not learn or adapt in real-time from its interactions. It doesn't have the ability to learn from specific user inputs or remember past conversations. The model is trained on a diverse range of internet text up until its last training cut-off in January 2022. Any appearance of learning or adapting is a result of its pre-training on a large dataset and not a personalized learning experience. Each interaction with ChatGPT is independent, and it doesn't retain information from previous interactions.

By the way, Microsoft uses ChatGTP 4.0. The cutoff for that version is April 2023.

William wrote:

Hi Paul

I am happy to discuss my short story and maybe I can learn.

Please bear in mind that for the course certificate, which is at Level 2 of the English system and is regarded as equivalent to 0.2 of a GCSE, students had, as well as participating in in-class writing exercises, to produce a portfolio of original writing and that the story was just one item in my portfolio. The class was an evening class. I feel that I learned a lot.

I have seen courses in creative writing advertised at various levels, up to Master level, which is level 7 of the 8 level English system.

William

I'm confused about the location and the action of Gratly's wife.  At the beginning of your story, John Gratly storms out of his house and commands "Ring the Police".  Is he commanding his wife?

Yes. I had been taught at the class to start off with a line such that readers want to know what happens.

I had learned this when for one exercise, I forget what was the overall choice of topic, I had written about a television broadcast from a fictional vote count on election night.

What used to happen in the class was that the lecturer would talk about something, whether a short story structure, or haiku structure, or whatever, that weeks topic, then set us a writing topic, then we would write for a while, during which she looked through what we had all brought in as writing done at home, then we had the Share, where we each read out what we had written if we so chose - everybody did.

My original version started off that it is election night, the vote is taking place, and setting the scene for the story, before having the story itself. The lecturer advised me that the story should start with what had been my third paragraph. So as best I remember, something like the following.

"You stupid fool - I was live on national television!"

and then had gone on to expalin that the man had said something about main candidates and minor parties and the man from the Restore our Railway Infrastructure party had interrupted him live on air with "Don't you minor party me - I'm as much a candidate as anybody else."

So that is why this story starts of with "Ring the police!" rather than starting off with him sat quietly doing his accounts. That he had been is explained later.

That is also why my two novels also start with something to try to get the reader's interest.

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/l … er_001.pdf

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/l … er_001.pdf

I don't particularly like conflict, though I suppose there is that sort of thing to some extent in my novels.

What do you think of this chapter please?

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/l … er_035.pdf

William

William ... you lost me.  I read the opening of your piece about the "secretary-general" named Edith but I don't understand it. Explaining Localizable Sentences and grammatical stand-alone sentences seems highly technical.  The story collapses under the weight of technical issues that sound like a scientific paper. 

My two cents.

>>I don't particularly like conflict

That's where we started William.  The idea that conflict is central to a good story.  In fact, I thought we were together on the idea that when things get bad in a story, the best thing to do is make it worse until it appears there is no way out -- then we do exactly that, we find a way out and resolve the conflict.

I think it was a problem, a problem need not necessarily be a conflict.

For example, this movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBHWWnzjDsI

William

William wrote:

I think it was a problem, a problem need not necessarily be a conflict.

For example, this movie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBHWWnzjDsI

William

Dead link.  But I get it .. Point well taken.  I'd like to see a good story that deals with mass delusions. Maybe it would be set during the Renaissance.

Well, the link works for me, it is to the 1961 film The day the earth caught fire.

Are you outside the UK, maybe that could be an issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_t … aught_Fire

William

Yes. I'm in California where the sun shines.

Please write an original, interesting story that has no conflict in it, is kind and gentle.
Sure, here’s a gentle story for you:

Once upon a time, in a world where every living creature could speak, there was a small village nestled between the rolling hills and a sparkling stream. This village was known as Harmony Haven.

In Harmony Haven, there lived a wise old tortoise named Tilly. Tilly was loved by all for her kindness and wisdom. Every morning, she would slowly make her way to the village square, where the animals would gather to listen to her stories and advice.

One day, a young rabbit named Remy hopped up to Tilly. "Tilly," he said, "I want to make everyone in the village happy. What can I do?"

Tilly smiled at Remy's enthusiasm. "Remy," she said, "the secret to happiness is not in doing grand gestures, but in the small acts of kindness we show each other every day."

Inspired by Tilly's words, Remy decided to do one small act of kindness each day. He helped a squirrel gather nuts, he shared his carrots with a family of mice, and he even helped a bird build its nest.

News of Remy's deeds spread throughout the village, and soon, other animals started following his example. The village was filled with acts of kindness, big and small, and everyone was happier for it.

And so, life in Harmony Haven continued, peaceful and full of joy. The animals lived together in kindness and harmony, proving that even without conflict, there can be an interesting, fulfilling story.

Please write an original, interesting story that has no conflict in it, is kind and gentle.

Sure, here’s a gentle story for you:

Once upon a time, in a world where every creature could talk, there was a small village nestled in the heart of a lush forest. The village was home to various animals who lived together in harmony.

One day, a young rabbit named Remy decided to explore the forest. With his parents' blessings, he hopped away, his heart filled with excitement and curiosity. As he ventured deeper into the forest, he came across a crystal-clear stream. He bent down to take a sip of water when he noticed a tiny fish struggling against the current.

Remy immediately jumped into the water and gently nudged the fish towards the bank. The fish, grateful for Remy's kindness, introduced herself as Fina. From that day forward, Remy and Fina became the best of friends. They spent their days exploring the forest, sharing stories, and helping other creatures in need.

One day, Fina expressed her wish to see the world beyond the stream. Remy, wanting to fulfill his friend's wish, thought of a plan. He found a large leaf and carefully helped Fina onto it. He then carried the leaf around the forest, showing Fina all the beautiful sights she had always wished to see.

Their unique friendship and kindness towards each other and their fellow forest dwellers created a ripple of positivity throughout the forest. The forest thrived, and the village became a beacon of harmony and peace, reminding everyone that kindness, understanding, and friendship are the most beautiful aspects of life.

And so, Remy and Fina continued their adventures, spreading joy and kindness wherever they went, living their peaceful and conflict-free lives in their lovely forest home.

I hope you enjoyed the story! X

Please write an original, interesting story that has no conflict in it, is kind and gentle. Please do not mention the word conflict in the story.

Sure, here’s a gentle and kind story for you:

Once upon a time, in a land where the sun always shone brightly, there was a small town named Harmonyville. The town was nestled between rolling hills and a serene river that sparkled under the sun's rays.

In Harmonyville, there lived a kind-hearted baker named Oliver. Every morning, Oliver would wake up at the crack of dawn to prepare fresh bread, pastries, and cakes for the townsfolk. His bakery was a place of warmth and joy, filled with the sweet aroma of baked goods.

One day, a little bird flew into the bakery. It was a sparrow, with feathers as grey as a raincloud and eyes as bright as the morning sun. Seeing the bird, Oliver gently offered it a piece of bread. The sparrow chirped happily and nibbled on the bread.

From that day forward, the sparrow visited Oliver's bakery every day. It would perch on the windowsill, chirping a delightful melody that added to the bakery's charm. In return, Oliver would share some crumbs from his delicious pastries.

The townsfolk of Harmonyville loved this new addition to their mornings. The sight of Oliver and the sparrow sharing a peaceful moment became a symbol of kindness and gentleness in the town.

As time passed, the bond between Oliver and the sparrow grew. They spent their days in harmony, bringing smiles to everyone who visited the bakery. And so, life in Harmonyville continued, filled with kindness, gentleness, and the sweet aroma of Oliver's bakery.

And they all lived happily, basking in the warmth of the sun and the joy of each other's company. The end.

148 (edited by William 2024-01-05 13:20:57)

Please write an original story about a United Kingdom government minister who issues a ministerial directive to Jobcentres that the word fail and the word failure must not be used in letters and documents produced by the Jobcentres.

[AI response redacted as a name was stated, though upon checking on the web it appears to be a fictional name, yet nevertheless redacted.]

----

That is wonderful. Could you please rewrite it without a name of a person being stated please.

In the heart of London, a government minister known for innovative ideas and a relentless pursuit of positivity noticed a recurring theme in documents from Jobcentres across the United Kingdom. The words 'fail' and 'failure' were frequently used. Believing that such negative language could discourage individuals seeking employment, the minister decided to issue a directive.

The directive, carefully crafted to convey a clear and positive message, stated, "The words 'fail' and 'failure' must not be used in any letters and documents produced by the Jobcentres. Instead, use words that encourage growth and learning."

The directive was sent out to all Jobcentres across the United Kingdom. There was initial resistance, but the minister was patient and persistent, explaining the vision through meetings, speeches, and visits to several Jobcentres.

Gradually, the change took place. The words 'fail' and 'failure' were replaced with 'learning opportunity' and 'room for improvement'. The atmosphere in the Jobcentres began to change. People seemed more hopeful and motivated. Setbacks were no longer seen as failures but as opportunities to learn and grow.

The impact of the directive was profound. It changed not only the language used in the Jobcentres but also people's mindset. It taught them that there is no such thing as failure, only opportunities to learn and improve. This led to more people finding suitable employment, contributing to the economy, and leading fulfilling lives.

Thus, the belief in the power of words transformed the Jobcentres of the United Kingdom, proving that a simple change in language could indeed make a significant difference.

Please write an original villanelle about a breakfast in England that consists of organic Italian chopped tomatoes and white Basmati rice. Please mention the fields in Italy where tomatoes grow. Please mention the sunshine which ripens the tomatoes. Please mention the colourfulness of the fields with the red of the tomatoes and the green of the foliage of the tomato plants.

Sure, here’s an original villanelle about a breakfast in England with organic Italian chopped tomatoes and white Basmati rice:

In England's morn, a feast of colours bright,
Organic tomatoes, chopped, from Italy's heart,
And white Basmati rice, bathed in soft light.

Sun-kissed fields, where day meets the night,
Where green and red in nature's art,
In England's morn, a feast of colours bright.

Beneath the sun, in warm delight,
Tomatoes ripen, playing their part,

From Italy's fields, a vibrant sight,
Where tomatoes grow, and new days start,
In England's morn, a feast of colours bright.

The green of leaves, in sunshine's might,
The red of tomatoes, a masterpiece of art,

A breakfast served, a true delight,
Of Italy and England, never apart,
In England's morn, a feast of colours bright,

Please write an original villanelle where the first tercet is as follows. Art prints very carefully made, Many copies from an artist's thoughts, In many places now displayed.

Sure, here’s an original villanelle based on your provided first tercet:

Art prints very carefully made,
Many copies from an artist's thoughts,
In many places now displayed.

In galleries, their worth appraised,
In homes, their beauty daily sought,
Art prints very carefully made.

On screens, their colors never fade,
In books, their stories finely wrought,
In many places now displayed.

Through time, their value never swayed,
In hearts, their meaning deeply caught,