Topic: DVD/VCD writing device not present (but it is)

Just recently I can no longer burn DVDs. Every time I try I get a Serif box that says 'Menu Designer - No DVD/VCD writing device present'. There's nothing wrong with the drive as it still reads and writes files to DVDs using other methods, but I can't make any watchable DVDs and I don't know any way around it. I've bought an external DVD-RW drive with exactly the same results. I'm running MoviePlus X5 on Windows 10 with functional keys. The software works fine, it's just burning DVDs that's backfiring.

All this said, using any other software to create a DVD is doing so, with VOB and BUP files and all the rest on a disc when burnt, but my DVD player is saying the discs are incompatible when I try to play them. It's nothing to do with the type, format or age of the discs.

If you know how I can deal with it, that would be great. Thanks in advance for any advice and thanks to Alfred for hosting this site.

Re: DVD/VCD writing device not present (but it is)

I remember a few years back another member had a similar problem and I suggested that he checked the disc he was putting into the DVD drawer. They were trying to write a DVD using a CD disc!! It could be as simple as that.

If that is not the case, there are plenty of DVD writing programs on the market, just export the video to a file and import that file to another DVD writing program. I personally use Nero 15 and despite it being over eight years old, works very well.

Have a look here for some more options. https://www.cyberlink.com/blog/media-pl … g-software

Re: DVD/VCD writing device not present (but it is)

Thanks, Albert. I wish it was that straightforward but it's not. Even using different writing software it's burning the files onto the DVD but it won't work on the DVD player, and it's not a matter of it writing data only.
However, I have an ancient laptop (very slow) which also has X5 and it's currently writing a disc for me at a snail's pace.