Topic: Analogue phone lines discontinued by end 2025

Came across this a couple of weeks ago when looking to replace our old DECT phones.

https://www.bt.com/broadband/digital-voice

Joe

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure.

Re: Analogue phone lines discontinued by end 2025

Inevitable, I suppose, but thanks for the link!

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

I'm still traumatised by the removal of Button 'A' and 'B' phones; cut off my source of sweets revenue that did, as well as the mounting excitement as you approached the phone box, will it payout today?

All this technological advancement is all very well and convenient, and I use it - mainly because there is no option, but I don't know, somehow the 'instant-on', 'instant communication', 'instant gratification', 'Instant Information', 'tap'n'go' the supercalifragilisticexpialidociousness of it all seem to drain something out of life.

E. M. Forsters 'The Machine Stops' (1909) seems to be where we are heading. Well worth reading or listening to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOr-jb6ElzE

And no, the irony of providing the link is not lost on me, but what can you do?

One major issue is if your broadband goes down so does the phone. No emergency calls.

Should the broadband go down, BT presently have a Smart Hub2 system that will auto switch the router via a sim to the mobile network to maintain broadband. If that is issued to every broadband installation it would alleviate a lot of issues.

Joe wrote:

One major issue is if your broadband goes down so does the phone. No emergency calls.

Should the broadband go down, BT presently have a Smart Hub2 system that will auto switch the router via a sim to the mobile network to maintain broadband. If that is issued to every broadband installation it would alleviate a lot of issues.

But where I live there's a big hill between me and the nearest cellphone tower; in fact reception is very patchy for a mile or so all around. If the broadband went down I'd be completely cut off. (My phone and my internet are both with BT.)

Steve wrote:

But where I live there's a big hill between me and the nearest cellphone tower; in fact reception is very patchy for a mile or so all around. If the broadband went down I'd be completely cut off. (My phone and my internet are both with BT.)

Not all cellphone towers work well across all networks. Here where I am O2 and Vodaphone don't have a good signal even when in sight of the tower, but EE and 3 are excellent. Ask neighbours and friends who they are with and their signal quality. You may need to change your provider.

Joe