Topic: Problem with my computer

I am having a big problem with my other computer, it just will not start up. though it did earlier today.

It is a 10 inch Hewlett Packard running Windows 10 S and which I use for general everyday stuff. I am presently using my other computer, which I only usually use when I want to run Affinity or High-Logic programs.

The other computer will not start.

I think that there may have been a Your Battery Level is Low message and maybe I forgot to plug in the mains led and it has got a flat battery.

Plugging in the power lead, which works fine on this computer, on the computer with the problem produced the effect of the orange light for the power input being on for a few seconds, then off for a few seconds, so I am wondering if that means something, like either that it is trickle charging or that there is a fault.

I then tried the hold the physical start button down for around 30 seconds while the power lead is unplugged

I left it for over half an hour and then tried plugging in the power lead again and there is no orange light at all.

Though the power lead works on this computer with an orange light showing continuously as the battery charges.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what has happened please?

And is it recoverable?

William

2 (edited by pberk 2024-04-12 15:50:11)

Re: Problem with my computer

William wrote:

I am having a big problem with my other computer, it just will not start up. though it did earlier today.

It is a 10 inch Hewlett Packard running Windows 10 S and which I use for general everyday stuff. I am presently using my other computer, which I only usually use when I want to run Affinity or High-Logic programs.

The other computer will not start.

I think that there may have been a Your Battery Level is Low message and maybe I forgot to plug in the mains led and it has got a flat battery.

Plugging in the power lead, which works fine on this computer, on the computer with the problem produced the effect of the orange light for the power input being on for a few seconds, then off for a few seconds, so I am wondering if that means something, like either that it is trickle charging or that there is a fault.

I then tried the hold the physical start button down for around 30 seconds while the power lead is unplugged

I left it for over half an hour and then tried plugging in the power lead again and there is no orange light at all.

Though the power lead works on this computer with an orange light showing continuously as the battery charges.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what has happened please?

And is it recoverable?

William

Sounds like the power supply.  IF that is the case, it's good news as nothing will be lost.
Only way to tell is to replace the power supply.  But generally if it's completely dead and nothing lights up, that' the power supply.   Please post the full model number of the computer.  Can you post a picture of the power brick.  That's what need replacing.  Post a picture of any specs printed on the power brick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PQa8eNNNnE

Thank you for replying.

I have had the now faulty computer for just over three years I think.

If I remember correctly, my then computer would not connect to the internet, thus meaning that I was stuck as regards ordering grocery deliveries.

So I rang the Curry's telephone line to get a new computer and was told that ordering over the telephone was no longer available due to the pandemic and advising me to order online.

So I telephoned a local electrician who had done electrical work for me previously and he went onto Curry's website and after discussion ordered the now faulty computer, had it delivered to him then brought it round to me and delivered it social distance style.

It is a good computer, there was not a lot of choice at the time. In the event I was able to use it to get a new wifi driver for the other computer from the internet, copy it over using a USB memory stick and got the other computer working again.

Thank you for the link to the video. The faulty computer is not the same model. It is a 10 inch or 11 inch screen and does not seem to have any access to the battery, no screws anywhere as far as I can tell. It looks completely sealed, though maybe that is not actually the situation.

The power supply lead works fine on this machine.

The computer has S T R E A M on the top.

From underneath,

Model 11-ak0506sa

William

>> In the event I was able to use it to get a new wifi driver for the other computer from the internet, copy it over using a USB memory stick and got the other computer working again.

I'm confused.  Are both of your computers now working again?  Or is the Model 11-ak0506sa still dead?

I mentioned three computers.

The one that will not work now, an HP STREAM bought around March 2021, with Windows 10S, my everyday shopping and email computer - don't worry, my emails are all on webmail so computer-independent.

This one, a 14 inch HP running Windows 11 after unlocking the Windows 11S that it had. Unlocked to run Affinity software for which I had bought licences directly from Serif before the Windows S became an issue for me, and some High-Logic programs. which are about making fonts.

The computer that I had used as my only computer before March 2021 is a Lenovo, but as mentioned above a problem arose in that it would not connect to the Internet, but it got fixed when I managed to install a new driver got using the HP STREAM computer. However, in late 2022 it had a physical problem and went buckled, so I replaced it with this computer. In fact the Lenovo machine can now be started with some inconvenience, mostly to send some files as email attachments so that they are not lost, inconvenient because the buckling is managed using a mechanical clamp to hold the computer together whereupon it can be started using a pin inserted in the pinhole start facility of the computer as the normal start button is non-functional now.

William

As I could no longer order a new computer over the telephone I took the precaution to always have two computers because I need a computer to be able to order groceries to be delivered to me.

So if the HP STREAM is now useless then I will need to get another computer.

William

William wrote:

Thank you for the link to the video. The faulty computer is not the same model. It is a 10 inch or 11 inch screen and does not seem to have any access to the battery, no screws anywhere as far as I can tell. It looks completely sealed, though maybe that is not actually the situation.

From underneath,

Model 11-ak0506sa

I wondered about your previous references to a 10″ screen, William, since it always struck me as an unusual and rather small size. The HP Stream Laptop 11-ak0506sa screen size is specified as 11.6″, which is a standard size for a small laptop or ‘subnotebook’.

In order to replace the battery you would need to remove the screws that hold the back panel in place, but those screws may be hidden by rubber feet that need removing first. Please see step 4 on the following page:

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/tech-take … eplacement

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Alfred wrote:
William wrote:

From underneath,

Model 11-ak0506sa

I wondered about your previous references to a 10″ screen, William, since it always struck me as an unusual and rather small size. The HP Stream Laptop 11-ak0506sa screen size is specified as 11.6″, which is a standard size for a small laptop or ‘subnotebook’.

In order to replace the battery you would need to remove the screws that hold the back panel in place, but those screws may be hidden by rubber feet that need removing first. Please see step 4 on the following page:

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/tech-take … eplacement

Alfred .. Seems to me it is the power supply if nothing lights up?  But you seem to think it's the battery.  Why do you think its the battery? 

I think this would be the right power supply.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-45 … er-adapter

pberk wrote:

Alfred .. Seems to me it is the power supply if nothing lights up?  But you seem to think it's the battery.  Why do you think its the battery?

You’re probably right about the power supply, Paul. I wrote about the battery because William brought up the question of access to it, but even if the battery won’t hold any charge things should still light up if the PSU is OK.

pberk wrote:

I think this would be the right power supply.
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-45 … er-adapter

That one seems to be designed for use with an HP Chromebook. The following HP support page explains how to test the power supply and, if necessary, order a suitable replacement:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/i … 1382278-16

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

Thank you both.

The same power supply cable with its black box works fine with this computer. It is the one that came with the STREAM computer. I have the one that came with this computer.

William

William wrote:

The same power supply cable with its black box works fine with this computer. It is the one that came with the STREAM computer. I have the one that came with this computer.

The STREAM computer being the faulty one with the 11.6″ screen, correct? What computer are you using now, and why aren’t you using the power supply that came with it?

― Hermann Hesse

I am using the 14 inch HP computer which I normally only use if I am using Affinity software or High-Logic software.

The chargers are the same, so I only keep the one that came first, the one that came with the STREAM computer, out and in use.

William

William wrote:

I am using the 14 inch HP computer which I normally only use if I am using Affinity software or High-Logic software.

Thank you.

William wrote:

The chargers are the same, so I only keep the one that came first, the one that came with the STREAM computer, out and in use.

That makes sense — which is, of course, just another way of saying that that’s what I would do, too!

― Hermann Hesse

The STREAM computer does not have feet as such. but two long, about 6 inches or so, grey rubber strips. They do not obviously come out, so maybe there is a way to do it, perhaps needing a special tool, or maybe they are glued in so that the computer is regarded as being "as is" and if it fails then that is that.

I have various things stored on it, including lots of Ai generated images and the notes of the prompts that produced them. So perhaps they could be recovered using one of those gadgets that one plugs into the USB socket of a "duff" computer, but I don't know enough about them.

William

William wrote:

From http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06328250.pdf (for HP Stream 11 Laptop PC, Model numbers 11-ak0xxx, 11-ak1xxx):

AC adapter and battery light

● White: The AC adapter is connected and the battery is fully charged.
● Blinking white: The AC adapter is disconnected and the battery has reached a low battery level.
● Amber: The AC adapter is connected and the battery is charging.
● Off: The battery is not charging.

In other words, you’ve managed to get the battery charging intermittently.

William wrote:

The STREAM computer does not have feet as such. but two long, about 6 inches or so, grey rubber strips. They do not obviously come out, so maybe there is a way to do it, perhaps needing a special tool, or maybe they are glued in so that the computer is regarded as being "as is" and if it fails then that is that.

Those long rubber strips are the ‘feet’. They’re not glued in, you just need to free up one end and pull!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opm8Me78tOY

Once you’ve done that, you should be able to unscrew the Phillips screws (assuming you have a suitable screwdriver!) but the rest of the battery replacement procedure looks as though it isn’t for the faint-hearted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_5zg6CAwTc

― Hermann Hesse

Thank you.

Is there an option to remove the battery and then be able to run the computer only if the charger is plugged in?

Does a broken battery stop the computer being used on its power cable?

I am wondering if the physical power switch on the computer is broken.

William

As far as I’m aware, running the computer via the power adapter/charger should — all other things being equal — work whether the battery is dead or not, which suggests that other things are not all equal! A broken power switch does sound like a possibility.

― Hermann Hesse

Supposing that the computer is broken, which it may or may not be, I have saved a copy of the picture A lady reading haiku to an elephant from the following post.

https://punster.me/serif/viewtopic.php?pid=4035#p4035

Far better than no picture at all, what is saved is 800 pixels square whereas the original uploaded was 1024 pixels square.

Is there any way to recover the 1024 pixel version from behind the scenes please?

William

I have the picture open in Microsoft Paint and I have just zoomed-in that picture and there are brush marks in the painting of the clouds.

William

William wrote:

Is there any way to recover the 1024 pixel version from behind the scenes please?

I think the original version should still be available for download when you sign in to your Microsoft Bing account.

― Hermann Hesse

Thank you.

William

I have just given Bing Image Creator the following prompt:

A painting of a lady in a blue dress, the colour vivid against a purple lavender field, reading to a small elephant, with a Roman aqueduct in the distance.

Here are the results:

https://i.postimg.cc/R6Y6gFD1/06c66de2-1256-4caf-9814-de9d86d5f36b.jpg  https://i.postimg.cc/rdQttgGP/72b8c033-550d-4a1f-b115-8490eaf07413.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/hzvQ8xpP/73f9b15a-96ca-4f41-b97c-205333f97cf8.jpg  https://i.postimg.cc/GBcy26DD/fb0159c2-35da-4e98-bdf5-a1e1a6a47f94.jpg

― Hermann Hesse

Oh excellent.

Some readers might like these links.

https://punster.me/serif/viewtopic.php?id=567

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index. … -elephant/

Regarding the first image in the Affinity thread, I have an A3 landscape print of that picture.

William

I looked at the abstract designs from the font that had been produced using the Alphabet Synthesis Machine and imagined that those two glyphs were a lady reading haiku to an elephant.

William

I clicked on the picture at top left twice and got a huge image. There is even a representation of text on the page of the book.

William