Topic: Tahoma Italic problem

I have a problem with Tahoma Italic font in both PagePlus XP8 & XP9. The standard font works fine in normal and bold, but in italic shows completely incorrect characters. However it works OK in bold italic. And when I try to highlight & replace bold italic with std, italic, it reverts back to incorrect characters.

Tahoma Italic works fine in all other apps such as MS Word, Notepad, Wordpad etc.

And when I download the italic font, and install it, the message shows it’s already installed. Though I haven’t tried deleting and reinstalling yet.

I prefer Tahoma font as in Bold, it is noticeably larger than normal, great for the start of paragraphs. But I choose another font if it’s not going to work.

This seems to have happened after a recent Window 10 update.

I would like to know if others can replicate this problem. TIA John

2 (edited by GB 2023-05-07 19:53:23)

Re: Tahoma Italic problem

Despite where I live (across the Narrows bridge), I rarely use Tahoma font, but its italic version seems to work just fine for me. Which characters appear wrong for you?

3 (edited by Jandanz 2023-05-08 04:36:18)

Screenshot attached. There appears to be no relation to the normal & italic characters. Edit: Just noticed there appears to be a shift 2 characters to the right each time?
Maybe I will need to research further.
Thanks for your reply.

I was up your way in 2006 when I visited my late cousin in Chehalis.

https://i.postimg.cc/4HxLtCm0/ppx9-screen.jpg

Jandanz.  I am using PPX9 on win 11 22H2 and cannot replicate your problem. Sorry not to be able to offer any help just thought I would let you know the font works ok on my PC
Cheers Vicki
https://i.postimg.cc/xNRmPH8D/2023-05-08-091924.jpg

Always searching for the keys of knowledge

Jandanz wrote:

And when I download the italic font, and install it, the message shows it’s already installed. Though I haven’t tried deleting and reinstalling yet.

Even if Windows allowed you to install it without uninstalling it first, potentially having multiple versions of a font installed (e.g. TTF and OTF) is asking for trouble! Uninstall the current version, reboot your PC to force Windows to rebuild the font cache, and then reinstall the misbehaving font.

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

GB wrote:

Despite where I live (across the Narrows bridge), I rarely use Tahoma font

It’s interesting that there’s an Arial Narrow font but there doesn’t seem to be a Narrow variant in the Tahoma family. A missed opportunity, methinks!

“Within you, there is a stillness and a sanctuary to which you can retreat at any time and be yourself.”
― Hermann Hesse

there doesn’t seem to be a Narrow variant in the Tahoma family. A missed opportunity, methinks!

Perhaps there used to be one, but it broke up.

Was that the abridged one?

9 (edited by Jandanz 2023-05-09 00:03:35)

Thank you all for your replies. Have it sorted now.

I uninstalled the font, & thought it best to delete and re-install as per Alfred's suggestion, but after I uninstalled it, I got the message
"Tahoma cannot be deleted because it is a protected System File."
So I rebooted, went back into PPX9, and it's all working fine now! Yippee! Must have chased out the gremlins. Strange how it only affected PagePlus.